What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade igniter unknown to me

millsbomber

Premium Member
Ok Experts any one know what this igniter fits, it come out of a WW1 No34 Mk3, checked and does not fit the description and pictures in the Landers book, at first i thought it was for the 1/4 Lbs incendiary but the det its self is too long, it has been inerted by drilling out the bottom of the det tube,,,,,,,, Dave

HPIM6480.jpg HPIM6481.jpg

Dave,

It does look very much like the Detonator, Practice No.34 Hand Grenade, Mark I /L/ (Dummy Detonator, with Cap Chamber, Dummy Cap & 2.35 inch No.16 Safety Fuze). The detonator is "Copper, Nickel plated or Cupro Nickel" and is "crimped to safety fuze in 6 places".

The length (2.56 inch) may be a few thou over, but is otherwise spot on. Bonnex will have the definitive answer...

Tom.

Just had another look at the landers book and it seems i dismissed it as a No34 Mk3 det a bit too quickly, i was looking at the Mk1 and mk2 fuses, having another look in the book the box containing the det tin i can see the anvil is the correct shape.
Dave

Spot on Tom. As far as I can remember without delving into lots of notebooks the dummy igniter set was slightly longer than the service patterns presumably to help distinguish it from the live store. The other features to distinguish the dummy were to do with the detonator itself; from early 1917 Nos 6, 7 and 8 detonators for use as dummies were were made from cupro-nickel (or were coated) and a hole drilled in the bottom.

Nice item.