What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade lid?

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi, Anybody know what the lid on the right is off? Its shown next to a standard always fuze lid for size comparison. It was found in an old WW2 army dump with some clam mines. Cheers.

Attachments

• 1 unknown.jpg
    1 unknown.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 60
The first (on left) is safety cap for British No. 69 or No. 82 grenade.
Edit: oops, sorry, I don't read you interest the right.

Last edited:
Not a great picture, but looks like a typical Russian/Soviet fuze cap.

Not too sure either. Just looking through my Brit grenade book, and the closest thing I can find is the cap for - Bomb, Incendiary, 1-1/4 lb MK1.

Not too sure either. Just looking through my Brit grenade book, and the closest thing I can find is the cap for - Bomb, Incendiary, 1-1/4 lb MK1.

Hello

This is the cap for - Bomb, Incendiary, 1-1/4 lb MK1. It seems more long than the id quest.

But perharps there were two sizes ?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 22
Hi. Thanks for your help. I'd not considered the possibility of it being from a Russian fuze, as it is very unusual to find Russian ordnance over here. The ribbing is very similar to that used by the Aussies with some of the red No69's. The wire that is threaded through the two holes on the top looks original to the lid and is and unusual addition, as it would have meant that it is not water proof. I look forward to a possitive ID one day. Cheers

Last edited:
While it's hard to tell from the photo, don't forget that China copied a lot of Russian stuff as well. I'll see if I can find some photos of Chinese or Russian later for comparison.

I'm afraid that not too many of my fuzes still have their caps. Nevertheless, here are a couple examples. The first three as Soviet, the last one is Chinese. The caps can vary significantly in shape and size.

Attachments

• DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0079 (2).jpg
    DSC_0079 (2).jpg