What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade Storage

commachio

Premium Member
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question really on storage condition of grenades. I currently store my in the open and are cleaned regularly alike a gun. Taken apart, cleaned with gun oil (to help repell moisture in the air), all excess removed gun oil and then reassembled. I then take a small boot brush (fine bristled) and apply beeswax. This is then 'buffed' and the proces of adding additional beeswax repeated until I'm 'happy'.

One big question I have though is whether anyone stores the grenades with the striker and spring 'set' or not. I'm just aware that many of these are almost a century old and thus the parts must surely be subject to fatigue?

What is everyone's thoughts and suggestions?

kindest regards
Gaz

Hi Darren,

Aha!! Superb and sure it had been covered before but couldn't find it.

Many thanks
Gaz

Hi Gaz,
store in the open? Not outside? I assume its inside in the dry? If so that will be fine and i have found that 90 year old springs are also ok and good for another 90 years or more. I wouldnt worry about them too much, as long as the rustworm is stopped.
After all, they were all made by the finest mastercraftsmen of the day, to standards which are lacking today.

Andy

Last edited: