What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grenade testing 1918

The following is taken from "The Literary Digest" October 5th, 1918

A GRENADE-TESTER An exhaustive test of grenades, says Rudolph C. Lang in The American Machinist (New York), must be made before adopting any specific type, and even after one has passed on it is tried from time to time to insure a uniform product. He goes on: "The usual procedure in testing these grenades is first for penetration; secondly, for distribution of fragments, and last, if both the former warrant further investigation, the jolt test. "The figure shows one of the chambers used at the Bethlehem Steel Corporation for testing grenades. It is a steel chamber app. 10 feet square, 15 feet high, with wall 12 inches thick and a square opening on top used as a vent for the gases that have been developed. A narrow door opening from a short passageway leading from the chamber completes the entire structure, which is anchored on a heavy reenforced concrete foundation; covering the entire interior is a layer of heavy coarse wood, over which are placed large sheets of paper. These sheets are renewed after each test, as the following will explain. The reason for all these is to ascertain the true fraction, both as to the number of pieces or slugs as well as their scattering effect. The penetration is then clearly seen in the wooden lining, which also prevents the pieces, or slugs, from rebounding through the paper, on which the scattering effect is clearly shown. When the grenades have thus far proved satisfactory they are submitted to a jolt test, which is nothing more than putting a few of them in a box to which is fastened at one end of a long pole. The examiner then places himself behind a barricade and grasps the other end of the pole which passes through a small aperture of the barricade. He then shakes the box vigorously, subjecting the grenades to a severe jolting not only against the wood, but also against one another. when he has shaken them in this manner about a dozen times they are then passed as safe for delivery. Dano

Attachments

• Picture 337.jpg
    Picture 337.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Dano,

Great imformation, as always on the way they did it back then. I'll have to try and explain how they did it in the 60' -80's, and maybe even now. I'd like to scan it which would make it allot easier, but, alas, no scanner.

The Literary Digest

I found this 1918 issue of The Literary Digest at a yard sale about 5 years ago for 50 cents. The condition is excellent. Every article in it deals with the first World War in one form or another and the 1918 advertisements are just a hoot. Anyway I was thumbing through it the other night and happened upon the article on grenade testing. I had this magazine for 5 years and just discovered that article. Best half a dollar I ever spent. If you notice in the lower right hand corner of the cover it says price 10 cents, so I paid 5 times the original price of the magazine, but somehow feel I still got a bargain.............Dano

Attachments

• Picture 338.jpg
    Picture 338.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
very interesting.
cheers for sharing it with us dan.
i would be interested to see any other info on grenade testing.
cheers, paul.