What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenades, Various

TimG

Premium Member
Found the following in my collection and would appreciate any assistance in identifying them. From the stampings on the striker mechanisms of the British grenades there are from about 1979 – 1985. The grid on the base board is 3 cm squares.

Thanks

TimG

1st Image.
Unless I’m very much mistaken the first grenade is an Haley & Weller offering of a No. 83 Smoke Grenade.
Body 58 mm x 112 mm

The next two grenades are the same size as the 83. One is made by Schermuly and the other Pains Wessex. The product code on the PW one is 4002
Body 58 mm x 112 mm

2nd Image.
These two are slightly smaller than the previous grenades
Body 54 mm x 107 mm

4th and 5th Image
The lever is stamped ‘PW’ – Pains Wessex. No other markings
Body 63 mm (max) x 82 mm

6th Image
The striker mechanisn No. 3 stamped HW (Haley & Weller). The adaptor is exactly the same as from a No. 83. The body appears to be a vitamin container or similar, complete with tamperproof seal.
Body 51 mm x 88 mm

7th Image
These two appear to have bodies made from the same technique as soft drink cans. The striker mechanism was removed to show the igniter, which is common to all the remaining grenades. (That was the intention)
Body 60 mm x 111 mm

8th Image
Body 65 mm x 117 mm

9th Image
Note - The base of the longer one has been removed and replaced inverted.

10th and 11th Image
This is the only lever with any markings on it.
Body 38.5 mm x 143 mm

Image 1.jpgImage 2.jpgImage 4.JPGImage 5.JPGImage 6.JPGImage 7.jpgImage 8.jpgImage 9.jpgImage 10.JPGImage 11.JPG

Last edited:
The pictures 3&4 are of a stun grenade. The plastic body contained the flash/bang unit in a tube. An ejection charge blew it clear of the body.

Feistel

The last few fotos all seem to be products of the german pyrotechnic manufacturing company FEISTEL. When the owner died it was bought by a company PIEPENBROCK whose marking from then on was PPF. I'm not sure when that happened exactly. PPF was bought by COMET some years ago and the company split up. CHEMRING bought the military/signaling part while a chinese company bought the fireworks buisiness. Picture 10 is a smoke grenade with a german DM No.fuze. Picture 7 an HC smoke grenade. Picture 8/9 on the left a Light and Sound pyrotechnic grenade and on the right a stun grenade with bouchon fuze containing one large bang with 16gr of flash powder. That's a very nice bang. All this grenades seem to be dummys and are designated like that.
Regards,
Bellifortis.
Attached are some fotos from an old export catalog of PPF which is not dated but seems to be from around 2000.

Attachments

• PPF 001.jpg
    PPF 001.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 35
  • PPF 002.jpg
    PPF 002.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 32
  • PPF 003.jpg
    PPF 003.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 42
  • PPF 004.jpg
    PPF 004.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
EOD,

Do you mean No 3? If so, it was an additional image of the two smaller grenades in image 2 that I deleted.

TimG

EOD,

My apologies, it is under the heading of Image 6 - as explained above I deleted an image, which has thrown the rest out of sequence.

TimG