What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Groe Gewehrpanzergranate 30 restoration and help needed!!

Rafail

Premium Member
Good day you all!

i am in the process of cleaning 2 rifle grenades... and i came up with a problem...

one is missing half the threads and the other is missing them complete....

At the moment i havent cleaned the main body and i see some holes...

my question is what is the best method to close the holes, and to replace somehow the missing threads....
is there a black color putty ?? any other methods ??
i do not wish to repaint the grenade as much of the original condition is preserved nicely...

for the record i use DESOXIDANTE and submerge the parts in there for 10-15'...

Thank you! Any help as usual is highly appreciated!!
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

After you have removed rust from charge heads, close all corrosion holes with mask tape. Then spray a bit of urethane foam inside and let it harden. Remove tapes, make surface on foam spots with epoxy putty. Then you may paint the putty spots to same color as the head is if you don't want to paint them overall.

For holes on thread sleeve use epoxy putty and paint it. For the missing thread I see no option tan to make a new metal sleeve.
There also is available glass fiber reinforced epoxy putty which is much stronger but also more difficult to handle.

However I would not personally waste much time in restoring these, at least the worse one, as much better ones are available very often.

Much appreciated!!

it s that i have some spare time this weekend and no other project i can work, and since i have them well i ll give a try!

Thanks again!!