What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guided .50 cal bullets

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/11/what-if-a-snipe.html

Pentagon Shoots $22 Million Into Guided-Bullet Tech

What if a sniper could fire a bullet that changed course in mid-flight, to hit its target? The Pentagon is handing out nearly $22 million to try to find out. Darpa, the Defense Department's far-out research arm, announced a pair of contracts last Tuesday, to start designing a super, .50-caliber sniper rifle that fires guided bullets. Lockheed Martin recieved $12.3 million for the "EXACTO" (EXtreme ACcuracy Tasked Ordnance) project, while Teledyne Scientific & Imaging, LLC got another $9.5 million.
If the system works, it'll "provide a dramatic new capability to the U.S. military," Darpa says. "The use of an actively controlled bullet will make it possible to counter environmental effects such as crosswinds and air density, and prosecute both stationary and moving targets while enhancing shooter covertness. This capability would have the further benefit of providing increased accuracy and range while reducing training requirements."
"In other words," Sharon wrote last year, "it would be the ultimate sniper round."
Darpa won't say, publicly, how far, how long and how accurate they want the new bullets to be all that information is classified. But the will say that EXACTO should contain next-gen scope, a guidance system that provides information to direct the projectile," an "actively-controlled .50 caliber projectile that uses this information
for real time directional flight control," and a rifle. "Technologies of interest may include: fin-stabilized projectiles, spin-stabilized projectiles, internal and/or external aero-actuation control methods, projectile guidance technologies, tamper proofing, small stable power supplies, and advanced sighting, optical resolution and clarity technologies."
EXACTO is one of several projects Darpa is developing, to make snipers more accurate, and more deadly. The agency has earmarked $7.5 million for a laser-guided bullet program. Darpa gave Lockheed $2 million for advanced sniper scopes that could boost kill rates by tenfold, or more. If the system works out as planned, it would actually allow snipers to remain virtually invisible, lost in the "heat haze" in between them and their targets. Our own David Hamling called the project the "next war's secret weapon."

This would probably only be used in very special circumstances, as cost per round would be huge. That's if they do ever manage to develop it.

To put this into perspective, "Laser guns" were first described by HG Wells in the novel "War of the Worlds", which was written in 1898! I have yet to see those as the main weapon on any Battlefield.

Don't discount them too quickly!
Not much more than a small guided missile with no warhead (only guidance, and no fuze to deal with)- or maybe a scaled down "Excalibur" round.
There are already plans afoot for cheaper, smaller cruise missiles, not to mention the new "smart grenades" that airburst where you want them too.
By the way,
has anyone any further info on the Russian "FOAB"?
the video going around makes it look like a FAE weapon, but it's claimed to use "nanotechnology".
Anyone heard anything?

FAE surely ?

From what little information I have seen seen on this item I reckon it must be FAE !
FAE is still a very effective method of producing massive blast with a relatively small payload.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Go on then lads!,i gotto ask what `FOAB` and `FAE` mean please?

I know about the Excalibur round as i watched a smashing prog on telly about that.

best

waff

F.a.e. & f.o.a.b.

Sorry Waff, force of habit using abreviations,

F.O.A.B. Father Of All Bombs (the Americans use the term M.O.A.B. as in "Mother of", so the Russians adapted that acronym!)

F.A.E. Fuel Air Explosive sometimes also known as F.A.X. using a liquid source of energy that is vaporised then ignited over the target producing enormous "overpressure" and blast.

Hope that makes it as clear as Mud :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

If you watch the youtube video of the FOAB, you can see a definate cloud forming, then the cloud detonating - a two staged detonation. I wonder if the nanotechnology they mention is just nano-scale aluminum powder added to increase the heat/blast effects.
The russians pretty much pioneered the use of nano-aluminum in weapons.

I think their FAE is closer to what can be referred to as "Thermobaric". They've been pretty good at it starting with their man portable disposable bunker buster (can't remember the name).
As far as the sniper round being cost prohibitive, just look at the amount of cruise missiles that are being lobbed at the Libyans. When you care to send the very best, cost is not an issue (except to maybe the tax payer, who doesn't seem to count):tinysmile_cry_t4:

Doesn't the Bulgarians and the Russians still make a "Thermobaric" round for the RPG-7V?

I think their FAE is closer to what can be referred to as "Thermobaric". They've been pretty good at it starting with their man portable disposable bunker buster (can't remember the name).

You certainly mean the RPO-A but meanwhile they developed some more basing on the known AT type RPG-27 being designated RShG-1 now and the AT RPG-26 which is the RShG-2 now.

The Chinese have the disposable WPF-89.

Last edited:
Doesn't the Bulgarians and the Russians still make a "Thermobaric" round for the RPG-7V?

Yes, they do and likely other countries as well. China is one of them with the DZT02-40.

Last edited:
At the other end of the scale is the ODAB 500 PM, a 500kg thermobaric air dropped bomb.

Attachments

• DSCF2706.jpg
    DSCF2706.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF2709.jpg
    DSCF2709.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 30
EOD,

How effective are they against buildings and the like, maybe even a tank?

V40, the RPO-A (ShMEL) as far as I heard from Russians who fought in Chechnya is a very effective weapon. Once I have seen a demonstration video where one was fired at a BTR-60. It tore a huge hole into it's side - likely would have resulted in fatalities for the whole crew. I think the effect on an MBT would be much less but still good enough to rip a track and if hitting the front top section of the turret probaly blinding the crew by taking out most sensors there for fire control, night vison etc.
Today there is a modified version named ShMEL-M. Here the manufacturer's details on it:
http://kbptula.ru/eng/atgw/shmelm.htm

Here some videos I have found in the net, they are in Russian but most of the footage speaks for itself. In case of urgent questions about what they say let me know and I'll summarize it somehow pr get the answer out if mentioned there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7eYGWjZI8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3Cd69tqJ4&feature=related

ShMEL-M:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxVL8WoTwo&feature=related

Here their FAE MLRS TOS-1 "Buratino" (in the west better known as Pinoccio - wooden puppet):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ane4jB35Hs&feature=related

Russia has also 40mm and 43mm rifle grenades with FAE effect. I would not be surprised if they had FAE hand grenades.

Thanks EOD! I really appreciate it. I have nore questions to ask if you do not mind?

Why mind your questions? That's what we are here for. I just fear not to know the answers.

Yes, I know that second sentence for life. I should take my own advice! EOD, did we not use a similar delivery system in Vietnam? I somehow remember a "Thermobaric" Round that we may have used in Vietnam that was stabilized someway and (loosely worded) Sprayed out behind it something similar to Acetylene Gas or some other powerful chemical behind it as it got near to the grown?

I also believe it was set off by a similar way that Napalm was set off? Am I just giving out pieces and parts? Or was there even such a beast?