What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Cotton Case

davekane

Hi, I posted a query on the mines forum about a piece of metal I found when metal detecting on a beach where there was a artillery during WW1 & WW2 I've already found several bullets there and a map I've seen showed barbed wire entanglements on the beach my first thought was that it was a piece of a mine so I posted in the mines forum but a member there posted a picture of a gun cotton container and it's seems to be a really good match. Could someone here confirm and tell me how it was used. I've googled it and apparently the center nut could be removed and a fuze inserted the metal is copper and it has no markings. Picture on web in my signature.

This is more like the lid of an old style ammo container. If you unscrew the centre portion to loosen it you could then turn the four arm spider to engage/disengage with slots in the top of the ammo container and thus close/remove the lid. Actually there were containers with similar lids still in use in the Uk in the 1980s, for US made Howitzer propelling charges. If yours is copper then perhaps it was so for its anti-spark properties.