What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H.Z.14 Fb

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Here is a beautiful example of the H.Z. 14 Fb. I was wondering what the markings (outside of the nomenclature) stand for? I am guessing the marking before the 17 is the place of manufacturing. The 17 is probably the year?

Any ideas?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-273-2.jpg
    ICE-JV-273-2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 57
  • ICE-JV-273-1.jpg
    ICE-JV-273-1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 53
  • ICE-JV-273-3.jpg
    ICE-JV-273-3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 50
Fuze HZ14, HZ14Fb and HZ14 Vorst.

First of all Joe, a very fine example of this German WW1 fuze.
Percussion 57.5mm fuze-denotator without delay for light howitzwer. The fuze is often impressive because of its weight when found on the battlefields because made entirely of brass. The models that followed the first one (HZ14 introduced in 1914) used a centrifugal force arming system (HZ14 Fb or HZ14 Vorst. Fliehb.), as well as a safety pin (HZ14 Vorst. Fliehb.) Equipped with a 55 gr. acid picric detonator was used with explosive or gas shells of
90mm K73/88 guns
100mm K97, K04, K14 guns
120mm sK 12cm heavy guns
150mm IFH 98/09 light howitzers
150mm IFH 16 light howitzers
IFH for Krupp light howitzers

This is a classical German percussion fuze with arming by combustion of a powder grain ignited by concutor blocking a stem in contact with the inertia block. !7 would refer to date of manufacture..Dan

yes

Yes, this fuze is at the Aberdeen Museum. Do you have any idea of the manufacture image code before the 17?

Joe

nice fuze

at first realy nice fuze i have to say !

it looks like that top part and down part are not of the same fuze same kind yes but from two different H.Z 14 because of different markings or the fuze was modified later !

About the manufacturer i can not say anything sorry

wbr David

I was thinking the same thing when I was conducting the research. I wonder if this was a German change OR was done by the the group who inerted it for the museum.

I did notice the manufacturing marking is the same on the top and bottom.

Joe

maybe

maybe because of the realy good conditions the fuze was never fired and he was assembeld after the war out of remaining parts which are laying in the company which have manufaturer this kind of fuzes for display purpose !
But only maybe not for sure !

wbr David

It seems that this fuze was modified during the war, so they xxxx-out the old markings and replaced them with those below. This was done, for sure, during the war and by the company who produced it. I've never seen this makers mark btw.