What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H50 7.62 l2a1

hangarman

Heres my latest aquisition. Fairly standard H50 in reasonable condition, dated 1956. The interesting bit is that its for 7.62 L2A1, and originally contained 576 Ball rounds (made by Radway Green on the 3rd May 1956) which equates to 18 32 round cartons or 12 48 round cartons. My guess is for the 32 round carton . Does anyone know(Tony E ?) if they used the same carton for the .303 rounds and when they changed over to the 20 round carton and does any one have a spare one to go with my new box?
Cheers
Hangarmann
dsc00296.jpg

32 Round carton

The L2A1 was usually packed in 32 round cartons. Here is a label.

I think I have a full one, but will check in the morning.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 762labels.jpg
    762labels.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Tony,
I tried to find the post about 7.62x51 L2A1 and L2A2 introduction dates but had no joy.
Cheers
Hangarman

Thanks Tony,
I tried to find the post about 7.62x51 L2A1 and L2A2 introduction dates but had no joy.
Cheers
Hangarman

L2A1 (made to original US drawing dimensions) experimental production started at RG Oct. 1953
L2A1 approved February 1954.
L2A1 quantity production for troop trials started at RG June 1954.

L2A2 (made with slightly thickened case walls) trial production started Feb. 1955 at Kynoch and March at RG.
L2A2 (now with thickened case walls and different hardness gradient) approved Sept. 1955.
L2A2 quantity production started at Kynoch Nov.1955
L2A2 quantity production started at RG July 1956.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Horseshoe chargers

This would be a nice one to find full!

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Horseshoe.jpg
    Horseshoe.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 29
7.62 L2A2 Box Label

The attached scan is of 7.62 L2A2 32 Round Box Label from Australia. Interesting to compare with the 303 boxes and note that the 'H' number is omitted and the change from CARTRIDGES to ROUNDS. The stamping impressed in the bottom flap of the box is No. 26 over MK. 1/L with the date under the label then a "V". Also the "thumb" opening of one instead of two.
Les

Attachments

• L2A2 Box label.jpg
    L2A2 Box label.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 23
Cartridges and rounds

The differentiation of CARTRIDGE and ROUND was one of the changes made with the introduction of the NATO system.

Any ammunition with a bullet is "ROUND ......" and any without a bullet is "CARTRIDGE......" Thus the 7.62 x 51 grenade blank is "Cartridge, 7.62mm ...L1A1" whilst the Drill round which has a bullet of course, all be it inert, is "Round, 7.62mm....L1A1".

Several writers have stated that the allocation of two "L1A1" titles is an error without realising the subtle difference between "round" and "cartridge".

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
The L2A1 was usually packed in 32 round cartons. Here is a label.

I think I have a full one, but will check in the morning.

Regards
TonyE
Hi TonyE,
On the label you show for the drill rounds I noticed that is says 'rifle B' does that refer to the type of drill round? I think I may have a type C drill round with three white painted case flutes and headstamped RG 56 7.62, do you have a photo of the type B and other types(A ??? ect)

All the best
Tony

Drill

After the Drill L1A1 had entered service it was found that in quantity production it was difficult to maintain bullet securement and loose bullets were occurng. Four experimental types were produced in an effort to overcome this.

Type A - chromed, fluted like L1A1, normal neck hardness, double neck crimp.
Type B - plain, shallow flutes, neck hardness 125-140 DPN, double neck crimp, blue grey flutes.
Type C - As above but with length to shoulder low, white flutes.
Type D - plain, shallow flutes, neck hardness 95 +-15 DPN, red flutes.

No type A are known, B and C were headstamped "RG 55 7.62" whilst D was headstamped "RG 54 7.62 A1".

In the picture, l. to r. are:

Very early drill unheadstamped
Type C
Type B
L1A1
L1A2

I do not have a type D unfortunately.

I have just about finished an article on the early British 7.62 NATO rounds for the IAA journal that should be published in the March 2011 edition.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 762early.jpg
    762early.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 20
32 round box

Here is the 32 round box for the L2A1 ball rounds.

Hangarman - if you want the empty box you are welcome to it, just PM me with your address.

Tony - no, the Journal is members only, but I will e-mail you a copy of the article after it has been published.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• L2A1  1.jpg
    L2A1 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 14
  • L2A1  2.jpg
    L2A1 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 19
  • L2A1  3.jpg
    L2A1 3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 14
Hi TonyE,
would this be for type A drill rounds,on a 1958 dated H51 MkI box,marked up for L2A2 ball in chargers in bandoliers by RG,the 'ball' suggests not,but.....

TonyP2270002.JPG

I don't think that is for the Type A Drill rounds. I think it means the ball rounds are for rifle only, not MGs. That may be because they are the early L2A2 before the case was slightly strengthened again to help prevent stretched and seperated cases in Bren guns. The case walls were thickehed from the base to about 1.5 inches up the cartridge.

Regards
TonyE