What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hale Village War Memorial

waffenamt

Hi Chaps,

Here is one i saw on my travels and remembered my digi cam for a change!
Its in Hale Village near Widnes,Merseyside.

enjoy!

cheers
waff

Attachments

• S7004511.jpg
    S7004511.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 59
  • S7004512.jpg
    S7004512.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 81
  • S7004513.jpg
    S7004513.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 57
  • S7004514.jpg
    S7004514.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 58
  • S7004515.jpg
    S7004515.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hi Paul
Thats a nice memorial ! i read a document somewhwere that saisd after the 1St world war every village would be given German captured equipment as a memorial these would be in the form of a Rifle , a bayonet , and would be displayed in the village halls.
I wonder how many of these are left.
Steve

The "Mephisto" A7V Tank based in Queensland is some piece:
Tank-Mephisto-Queensland-Museum.jpg

Hello, my first post here.
The Hale Gun is only 2 miles down the Road from me but I've never taken the time to have a close up look, must make the effort (nice Photo).
That A7V is rather a nifty piece of Kit iirc even the Tank Museum at Bovington don't have one so it must be quite rare.

Cheers Johnno,
Welcome to BOCN :)

I had been doing a job in the cellar at the pub round the corner(The Wellington??)
Took me a couple of trips before i remembered to take the digi-cam!

best

waff

Captured guns

Australia is the place to see some great WW1 German war trophys {captured guns etc} I visited the Australian War Memorial for a week about 5 years ago and it was explained to me that they have the most complete collection of WW1 german guns anywhere in the world. I was told that a lot of the WW1 guns that were in the UK were melted down during WW2 to help the war effort. And WW1 tank shown in the pervious reply is the only surviving example left in the world and is hidden around the back of the Queensland museum so that if you don't know about it you would never see it which is a real pity After WW1 just about every town in Australia built a memorial hall and depending on the size of the town War trophys ranging from Mg08 08/15 Minniweffers, feild pieces etc were given to them. Then in WW2 with just about all of Australia's automatic weapons serving in Africa and worried about the yellow peril invading from the north most of the 08 and 08/15's were collected and rechambered for .303 and placed back in service with our VDC Aussie home guard
Regards 25thapril

Hello, my first post here.
The Hale Gun is only 2 miles down the Road from me but I've never taken the time to have a close up look, must make the effort (nice Photo).
That A7V is rather a nifty piece of Kit iirc even the Tank Museum at Bovington don't have one so it must be quite rare.

Not just rare, unique! Unfortunately the ones that came to the UK after the war were scrapped - there's currently a new running replica which has ran at at least one Tank Museum event, and a replica at the German Tank Museum at Munster