What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HB876 query

exat808

Ordnance approved
There is a possibility that HB876 sub munitions were produced in a version that contained HE substitute, a smoke pot and a flash pellet.
They were manufactured (filled) by Royal Ordnance/BAe Systems Ltd at Glascoed in March 1990.
Does anyone have any further information on these items please. There is no Nato Stock Number available for them and the only photograph to date is the one included with this post. Any information would be greatly appreciated.20120523_085529.jpg

They where produced, we have one in our collection, but no data on it.

Thanks for the reply blu97. Is there any chance that you could post a photograph of the unit in your collection please?

Thank you Spotter. I was wondering about how the requirements of the Landmines Act 1998 may affect possession of these non HE filled items as they are still "component parts" as defined under the legislation. I am aware that all operational stocks were destroyed at the end of the 1990's.
Thoughts and views from readers would be appreciated.

Hallo Exat808,
many, if not most of these mines were demiled in Germany. Standard procedure was to empty them and then burn a hole in the Miznay-Shardin topplate to destroy the projectile forming anti-armor function, the rest was just waste metal for recycling.

Thank you Spotter. I was wondering about how the requirements of the Landmines Act 1998 may affect possession of these non HE filled items as they are still "component parts" as defined under the legislation. I am aware that all operational stocks were destroyed at the end of the 1990's.
Thoughts and views from readers would be appreciated.

Most of the treaties define component parts as unassembled components. The destruction process further defines "end-point of destruction" for particular items, citing what pieces specifically must be destroyed and accounted for. I was in the Czech Republic at one of their facilities when they were destroying PP-Mi-Sr's, they basically used a can-opener to open the mine, dumped the HE, pulled one component and that was it. Everything else was considered scrap.

Each country has a specific government entity (National Authority) responsible for ensuring that they meet the terms of the specific treaty requirements. The establishment of these groups is generally a requirement when signing the treaty. This is the group that would be able to give you detailed explanations for your national systems and what is required/excempt, by system.

Thank you US-Subs. The items that I referred to at the start of this thread contain a number of components that were used in the operational version of the sub-munition. The matter has been resolved now and where appropriate the components have been dealt with in such a way as to make then unusable in the future as part of a complete sub-munition assembly. This is in acordance with the UK legislation that implemented the International Treaty. An interesting excercise. Thanks to all who responded.

Here the one we have.

Attachments

• DSCN2079.jpg
    DSCN2079.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2080.jpg
    DSCN2080.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 30