What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Cornwall. I'd like your help with an M14 shell

jlindop64

My name is Jim Lindop. I found your site while searching for information about an M14 shell casing. I volunteer at the Liskeard Oxfam shop. Last week, someone brought in an M14 105mm brass shell casing. I am concerned about it because what appears to be the detonator is still inside it and the firing pin (?) in the centre of the base plate is intact. What do I need to do to ensure that it is safe?

This is most likely an American shell case from the 2nd world War era. These cases were fitted with their own brass "firing pin" in the base of the "detonator". The proper term for the "detonator" is "primer". Can you see the primer tube inside the case? If the case looks blackened, green or dirty on the inside, it has most likely been fired. Some photos of the primer and the inside of the case would help if possible.

Hello again, Falcon

I have attached a photo of the interior and the base. The interior is blackened, green and dirty. What I don't understand is why the centre of the base is still intact. I thought that it would have a dent in it if it had been fired.M14 shell base.JPGM14 shell interior.JPG

Hi jlindop64,

I'm afraid I cannot tell you if the case has been fired or not - I will leave that to someone who knows better than me.

However here is a link explaining a little about the American primers .......... so I am not sure that you can tell just by looking at the base. http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/86861-Help-info-ideas-needed!!?highlight=unstruck+primer

I am sure someone on here will be able to tell you for sure with the photos you have posted

all the best Kev

The best way to be sure would be to take one of those small mirrors on an extension and stick down into the case so you can look crosswise through the perforations in the primer tube to see if there is paper or powder in the tube. If you can see clear through, it is empty and most likely fired.

Thank you all for your help. I was able to get a toothpick through the primer tube perforations and it is empty, so it must be inert even though the centre of the base doesn't have a depression in it that I assume would be there if it were struck by a firing pin. Perhaps it is triggered electrically? The stamping on the base says: 105mm M14 AF MOD SDPO1M001-003. Does this help to date it? Do you have any idea of its value to a collector?

Sorry I missed this thread. I'm not sure of an exact date, but that headstamp has a very modern look to it. I would say that it is an item from the present era.