What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help 2 Pdr.

hasag

Hi please, is this 2 Pdr shot correct?
What type of projectile is it? And why is the fuze blue?
Gracias.

40x304R.png

IMG_6550.jpgIMG_6551.jpg

Hi Hasag,
What a lovely round, not seen one in that condition for years. The fuze is correct with that colour and its an HE filling. I am sure there is an old thread on here with some more info for you, if not the i would expect Tigbrand to be able to give you as much info as you need as here has a bit of a 2pr habit, there are a few others on here as well that could add to this thread,
Best Weasel

Thank you very much Weasel for the information, it was that I had read that 2Pdr nº 2 40x304R did not have HE poyectiles but I already saw several with that type of projectile.

the long 2pr No.2 did have HE shell when used in armoured cars, think I have a few pages on them somewhere, the blue is probably a laquer for corrosion protection as much as anything else.

Thank you very much 2pounder for the information please if you find a sketch pass it to me if you want .... :) Thank you-

Fuze Percn DA No 243 Mks 1 and 2 were also used in the early marks of the Cartridge 2 Pr HE/T used in the 2 Pr Mark 9A and B guns.

I suspect that projectile doesn't belong to that case. It would appear the first couple of inches (from the base) have been chemically blacked (Silver Nitrate), from the linked thread, it appears this marking was used on 'Little John' rounds.

The fuze is a Naval store, it is clearly stamped 243 I N

The blue of the fuze has no significance, it is a varnish/lacquer, namely R.D. 1177.

TimG

TimG do you suspect that projectile does not belong to that pod either? The only difference is the blue vaniz on the fuze.

TimG?

81e21b082499c9af52ad2414e13467d6a5119f96.jpeg

That is a Naval projectile, there's an 'N' stenciled on the side, in a Land service case. Again the bottom of the case has been chemically blacked.

The variation in shade of blue is normal.

TimG

2Pr N - 1.jpg2Pr Land - 1.jpg

As TimG pointed out that particular fuze was used in a Naval shell and would have Fuze 243 marked with a naval N.
I would point out that you cannot use a shell having no squeeze capability with a littlejohn adapter.
I would also note that I said 2Pr Mks 9A and 9B when I should have said Mks 9A and 10A guns.
I was only making a point that the fuze was not purely used in naval service.

Usually, there would be no need to bar out a naval N, all you do is place a contract for the identical fuze for land service use and marry that with a shell having a Design Drawing Land (DD(L)) Number. If you were making a cartridge for use with a naval shell, the fuze contract would call for a naval N marked fuze and would go into a shell having a Naval Ordnance Drawing (NOD) number.

There were occasions during WWII when naval shell were diverted for use with land service cartridges to meet a short fall for special events, such as the Normandy landings, provided the RN did not have a greater need. All weapons and ammunition for all three services plus outside customers , came under one umbrella, namely the Directorate of Inspectorate of Armaments (D.I. Arm) (as was) and whose requirements for what, would be thrashed out at meetings and contracts placed accordingly.

The drawings at the top are both for a Shell 2Pr HE/T Mk 2 identical in every way, except one has a NOD Number and the other a DD(L) Number. This would have been a case in point.

I would doubt that the immediate needs could not be met from the various existing lines of supply. Provided the fuzes at that time were still unfilled but marked N, this could be barred out, but once filled it would not be prudent to do so.

Last edited:
from the armoured car manual the pages I have re ammunition state 2 types of proj. AP shot or HE both with trace. It then describes APCBC, AP, PP (pionted practice) and HE fitted with 243, 246, or 255 fuze. shell has a buff body with red, green and black bands, bursting charge was TNT but RDX/BWX used later., cases are stenciled on the side with propellant type and HV on the HE rounds, Tracer symbol on base and projectile type. Type and MK of fuze is stamped on the side. As to whether they were stamped N or N barred out there is no indication. having trouble with my scanner otherwise would post a copy.

AE501,

Have you got the R.A.O.S. for the 2 Pr? If so, what is the significance of the chemically blackened base?

Thanks

TimG

Aquí hay otra imagen tomada del manual de 2 Pdr. Here is another image taken from the 2 Pdr manual.The cartridge is identical to mine. That comes to confirm that my cartridge is authentic .... :) Thank you all.

Captura de pantalla 2020-02-01 a las 18.54.23.jpg

At that time the blackened base indicated that it was for use with a High Velocity gun. The marking was to be 1.5" wide.
Cartridge cases for use with a Super Velocity gun had two black bands round the base and SV stencilled in Silver Nitrate.

Thank you very much for that information AE501 .... :) I was about to ask about that data.

My 2 pdr collection is long gone weasel, but the naval HV projectile and 243 fuze was used with the 2pdr No2 Mk1 case and tank/a tank gun and post war in armoured cars. the case is not Littlejohn as it has a standard neck crimp which matches the HV projectile. The projectiles and fuzes retained the naval N markings. This is as per the S gun, lots of stuff on here about cases being marked 40mm etc, but nearly all the cases Iv'e seen are standard 2 pdr naval No1 Mk2.
To confuse things I once saw a 2pdr AP shot with a strange tracer cavity stamped with an N for naval! Used I believe?? in 2 pdr guns fitted in landing craft.
There was a war on as AE501 points out there was some crossover as in WW1. Nice round and rare as it is very hard to deactivate the fuze to get the CE pellet out.