What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for .55 Boys

andrea58

I purchased this cartridge at a fair. After I realized that it does not correspond to the classical ones. The cartridge case is of a tracer. From a careful observation I noticed that it was first drilled and then chrome plated. This makes me think that it is not a fake dummy built for the purpose of fraud, but something else. The cost of 45 euro would not justify the work. What do you think?
thanks
55 boys 1.jpg55 boys.jpg

HI
I have exactly the same cartridge, markings looks identical
it is not a model easy to find but the price which you indicate seems me also too high
The ball on mine is diffrent type
Stamp non base case K.37 R.G I
R or P? there is a groove on R or P

.55 inch Boys Drill cartridge, appears to be a WW2 vintage variation made from cartridge cases on hand at the time.

This subject was covered by Tony Edwards in his web page: https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/-55-inch-boys-2/-55-inch-boys-drill-dummy

So the cartridge andrea58 shows above was made from a .55 inch Boys Tracer G Mark I cartridge case with holes drilled in the side of the case and with a normal service bullet resting on a wood dowel (inside the case).

Hope this answers your question!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to disassemble it and tell you what kind of bullet is mounted.
For Doctor. In Italy the price for a .55 is this :tinysmile_cry_t4: 30/50 euro
For Bdgreen. In the page of Edwards I have not seen chrome plated.
In my case there is no wood, it is empty.
Ciao

Try putting a magnet to the bullet first. Disassembly could easily damage the cartridge.

The first one in the picture shows remnants of its' plating. The primer pocket seems to have a rivet also.

Attachments

• .55.jpg
    .55.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 44
"The primer pocket seems to have a rivet also."

Do you happen to mean the anvil?

Regards, DJH