What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help for 5cm Pak 38 casings

jiipee76

I would like to get advice,what is the best possible way to get casing mouth section littlebit wider to accept grenade.I bought set of 5cm Pak38 casings in very good condition but the mouth section is not big enough to get grenade fit.

I have succesfully used a round steel bar which is just a bit smaller than the case mouth and goes easily in. I attach the steel bar in a heavy duty workbench, slip case mouth around the bar and gently hammer the case neck against the bar from outside all around with a flat hammer. This will bend the crimping grooves out and also expands the base metal a bit.
Do not hammer the case too much. Usually it's enough when you hammer the crimping grooves only out.

I know it depends how tight a fit you are referring to but the method I have used successively is as follows:

If the projectile fits in even a small part, line it up perfectly straight then tap the base of the case down on a wooden block. The important thing is the keep everything in line and check it is going in straight.
The tapping down, with the weight of the projectile will drive it in. Start off gently to see if it works.

PC