What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Id 7.62x54R headstamp...earlier model (1891)

nunoc13

Hi, could someone help id this headstamp? It´s a earlier model, probably 1891, from Lugansk factory. I´ve tried everything, books, internet and i couldn´t find any correct info.
The Lugansk plant was constructed in 1894 and began full production in 1895, then the 1890 does not fit in this period.
So what´s the meaning of the “90”??? or it´s “06”????
It's round nosed bullet , and the pointed " spitzer " bullet known to the "L" for light , was adopted in 1908. So I think that the year is 1906, but it is also strange because in 1900's was adopted the 3 digits number to identify the year.
Thanks

7,62x54R modelo  1891.jpg

Year must be 1906. I recently studied Berdan headstamps and found that there are many variations. Markings can be in any way, upside down. Years in 2 or 4 digit.

0 is most likely brass supplier. In Berdan cases there were many brass suppliers but I found no information who was who.

Between the BOCN, IAA, and other sites you've posted on, I think you have gotten all the information you probably will on this headstamp. You know the manufacturer, year, and year quarter. All that you are missing is the identity of the metal supplier. In the unscientific magical world of headstamp/ammo identification, I would say you have done pretty well.

Thanks jonnyc. :) this is the only headstamp I have seen around, and the info found on internet search, sometimes is contradictory. But I think I can record this one as "lugansk factory, manufactured in the first quarter of 1906, unknown brass supplier".