What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help ID this mortar shell

Hi all, Went over to Alamo Militaria today and traded off a pistol I had and got a bagful of goodies. This appears to be a mortar shell with no markings. Can someone help to identify? Dano

Attachments

• Picture 265.jpg
    Picture 265.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 39
Hi dano

Hi dano i gues it looks like a practice round or a dummy round but i am not sure !!
is there on the top side a hole with tread for a fuse ??

Regards David

realy hard to say !

Hi dano

Realy hard to say without markings for this kind of stuff i am not an expert !!

Regards David

see dano here are the experts !!

Realy good spotter i see its better to wait for the experts as to work at self !!

Regrads David

paint

It has a nasty ass coating of really thick silver paint complete with runs. I think i'll take some stripper to it and see if any markings appear. Must first make a trip to wal-mart as stripper is empty. Will keep posted. Whoever had it before transformed it into a lamp which I promptly put an end to that when I brought it home. It is a cool looking little mortar shell. Dano

Its a US AN-MK 43 practice bomb

some more info here on ordata plus some info on the spotting cartridge http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/srdetaildesc.asp?ordid=3787

Spotter is correct. We used to get called on these all the time and they were always reported as a mortar.

The question we always asked was "How many holes are in the space between the tail fins?" and if the reply was "None" or we knew that it was a practice bomb.

U.s. Practice Bomb;

Spotter,
Odd, was the earlier model a Mk. 23? I have picked these up on several bombing ranges in the U.s. They hold a shot gun shell type spotting charge and is supposed to have the same tragectry as a 100 lb. G.P. Bomb. They have cost several people some fingers.
Bart

stripper

Well, I just got done stripping 2 thick layers of paint off of it and it is now bare metal, no markings present. This thing is steel not alloy! Dano

Just found this for you from Tm-9-1980 refers to both the 23 and 43 types

Attachments

• TM9-1980.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    TM9-1980.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 13
stripper

Here's a few more pics of mortar shell after stripping of all paint. As you can tell looks like it took a 10ga or 12 ga shotgun shell. Dano

Attachments

• Picture 273.jpg
    Picture 273.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 272.jpg
    Picture 272.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 6