What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help ID this Projectile

celica

Hi, im after a little help to ID this projectile, its 85mm long the body is 20mm in diameter and the base of the projectile is 17.4mm.

I'm thinking maybe a Vulcan round.
3.jpg2.jpg

Thanks Nathan

Hi Celica,
it must be a PGU-27 TP projectile, indeed fired by the M-61 Vulcan cannon.
The PGU-27 I have in my collection has a brass driving band though instead of the steel driving band on your projectile.
Maybe someone can confirm that this is the new design?

Regards, Cornman

The coarse rifling on your shell suggests it is an Oerlikon round and may have originated from BMARCo in Grantham some time ago when different rifling configurations were tried with "Sintered Iron" bands.
It is unusual as it is so coarse !
Nice item for any collection and thanks for showing us.

Just been looking at a few different web pages at specs and found some information on F16 armament and the projectile matches up with a target practice/ training round. M55A1 projectile which fits in a 20mm M103 case. I have one of these cases and it looks about right but its a bit of a loose fit. The projectile was bought from RAF Waddington Airshow last year so it is more than likely an RAF round. i'll try to post a pic later.

I have the exact same type of fired projectile that came in a case I bought at Beltring in 2009. These look to have been dug up from the ground and sand-blasted to remove rust.

These are slightly different to the Vulcan round, which has a more rounded nose and a flat base. I believe this is an Oerlikon projectile rather than a Vulcan projectile.

Here a pic of a PGU-27 round (6th). The TP-RRR (5th) looks similar, but nose and base are different so yours is definately not a TP-RRR.
Celica, can you tell me if your projectile has a brass, or steel/iron driving band, it`s hard to tell from your pictures.

Regards, Cornman

Attachments

• 20mm.JPG
    20mm.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 21
the band is the same as the main body of the projectile id say steel and its not a solid band like the rest ive seen its riffled.

Last edited:
Think i have the same ,this TPT projectile was found on a uk range

Attachments

• P1020366.jpg
    P1020366.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P1020372.jpg
    P1020372.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P1020380.jpg
    P1020380.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 13
yeah that looks like it apart from mine being solid at the bottom. or was that a result of the sectioning. do you know anymore about it.

Last edited:
Spott your projectile is a "Rheinmetal" made item and would be used in similar to an RH202 gun, the rifling on yours is correct for the weapon and would explain why it is UK found.
See example
Fired in the UK from Rheimetal 202 Weapon system in the (hum hum) early days.

Sorry for the rubbish picture.

Attachments

• RH 202 Prac.jpg
    RH 202 Prac.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 16