What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help id unknown projectile

sgdbdr

Could somebody help identifying this projectile ?
I thought WW1, incendiary, illuminating, smoke or chemical, but I didn't find any answer.
97205-11.jpg

Doesn't look heavy enough to be a projectile, unless maybe a French pneumatic? Do you have the diameter and length?

I don't own the projectile, but according to the ruler on the picture, it seems to be around 75mm in diameter, length around 25cm and fin stabilizer a bit wider around 8cm.
Given this shape, it seems more something dropped than launched.

France had some pneumatic mortrars that were oddly shaped and made of sheet metal, but I've never seen this design before. A new bomb would be nice though....

Hello,

this one (from Navord Op1668)
IVS : "Indicateur de vent au sol"

Regards

smk.jpgsmk2.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Yoda,

As Doctor wrote, it's a French smoke bomb (300 grams of "fumegrite") for landing or other (to observe the direction and strength of wind on the ground).
Era : 30's and ww2.
No fuze. The bottle breaks on impact by inertia.

Thanks doctor & MINENAZ16 !
With the help of your reply I checked in my OP1668. Page 187 and some other ones were missing... I downloaded another one with all the pages and tadaa ! I now know this smoke bomb. The book is not very detailed but that's a start.