What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Identifying reproductions Rod Grens

Edwardc

Can anyone give me some pointers on ID'ing whether Rod grens are repro or not.

I have seen a few for sale recently but they seem to good a condition to be true, any pointers or classic things i should look out for? Im talking WW1 period by the way

cheers

Ed

Can anyone give me some pointers on ID'ing whether Rod grens are repro or not.

I have seen a few for sale recently but they seem to good a condition to be true, any pointers or classic things i should look out for? Im talking WW1 period by the way

Ed

If you have a micrometer compare the rod diameter with the manufacturing drawings. Similarly check the threads. The old adage 'if it looks too good to be true....' is sound but there are some very good and genuine examples out there. You could also post a photograph and ask the members to give a view.

Try if you can to look at all the examples you can find on the web, i have always found with most originals there is always some thing missing many years of being played with and of cause look for the dirt and dust in all the little places,,, good luck,,, Dave

Looks pretty genuine to me, but obviously re-painted and cleaned up. Seems fine as an entry level item, some of the ones for sale are just lumps of rust that will fall apart if left in a warm, dry room ! Tony.

As Bonnex says , that one Dug Up has for sale is fine , just repainted with a new rod as they state . With WW1 R/G's they seem to be restored but honest like that one or nearly perfect as they were never issued . Look at Millsbomber's site as he has most of them & they are all 100% original . If you look closely , you'll often find the painted coloured filling bands are roughly applied & not at all even on original examples . An original with all its finish will cost at least three times more [minimum]. Hope this helps .

For what it's worth...
I've bought from Dug Up in the past and have been nothing but satisfied with them and the items I've picked up.
They seem honest and report items or parts as reproduction where applicable.

The only rod grenades ive seen that are repros are No44's and No25 sangsters.
anyone know of any more?
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• No44.jpg
    No44.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 22
  • No25.jpg
    No25.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 23
Apart from the rodded grenades , the No12 is the commonest reproduction . I've only ever seen ONE genuine example outside of a museum !

Also , on the No25 Sangster the vane holder is left hand thread on the originals & right hand thread on the repros . Something to watch out for if you are ever contemplating purchasing one .