What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me identify this shell case found in my Garage !

bpb235

Hi there,

Been trying to google this shell and stumbled across this site !

I recently moved into a house and found 2 of these shell cases in the garage. There 12 inches long and have the markings 6Pr V - lot 177 FE - N 1942 - VAEL. - it's 12 inches long and is pretty heavy, it may be made of brass ?

I have found out that the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch railway (that runs along the bottom of my garden) was used for running equipment along the coast during WW2 and this may be where it came from ?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5277.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 45
Do you have a full length photo of it? I suspect it's a cartridge case Mark 5 for a 6 pounder sub-calibre. The manufacturer's stamp says it was made in 1942. I'm not very familiar with manufacturer's monograms so I can't tell you where it was made.

I only have references for 6pr sub-cal, and 6pr 10cwt. It fits the criteria for the sub-cal.

It could have held one of three projectiles:

- Projectile practice weighted steel Mk5
- Projectile Practcie Mk3
- Shot practice Mk4

VAEL stands for Vickers Armstrong Engineering Limited.

The letter 'N' usually signifies Naval use.

Cheers,
Andy

6 Pdr

The Royal Navy used the 6 Pdr. on motor gun boats fitted with the Molins autoloader, so i suspect that is what you have.

However, it is a bit big for my area of knowledge so I stand to be corrected!

Regards
TonyE

Heres a full shot of the shell, I know that all the way along the coast here they used to fire Vickers Anti-Aircraft guns

Attachments

• IMG_5287.jpg
    IMG_5287.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 35
The RAOS Pam 8 Part 5 states that this gun was mounted either sub-cal in the bore of the Ordnance BL 9.2 Inch or rigidly on top of the parent gun.

It is possible that this is the gun for this case. The barrel would have been either the Hotchkiss or Nordenfelt.

Are you aware of any use of the 9.2 Inch gun in your area?

I don't have any references for the 6pr 7-cwt. Which may very well be the gun you're thinking of and could also have fit this case.