What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me identify.

ditchfire

I've had this inert shell since 1970. It was from the home of a WW1 vet who died when I was a little boy. I would appreciate help to identify it.
Don

Attachments

• Bomb2.jpg
    Bomb2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Bomb3.jpg
    Bomb3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Bomb4.jpg
    Bomb4.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Bomb1.jpg
    Bomb1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 19
shell

The fuse is a U.S. model of 1907 Scoville which was used from WW1 through the Korean conflict. Looking at the shell without measurements looks similar to a 75mm shell. Dano and looking at the base adaptor of the fuse it sure looks like the 75mm shell adaptor

Scoville fuse

Did a little more checking - If fuse adaptor is 2 11/16" across thread base and 1 1/8" thread height then it fits the 3" shell - and if 2 5/8" across thread base and thread height 7/8" then it is for the 75mm shell. Dano

Last edited:
It is a 3 inch "common shrapnel" projectile. There are a couple of sizes of these, the ones for the 3 inch field gun for antipersonnel, and the 3 inch aintiaircraft gun. In that application they were used like giant shotguns for shooting at planes. The antiaircraft rounds were used into WWII. They were typically filled with around 252 lead balls approximately 1/2 inch in diameter. The datasheet is for the Antiaircraft round. The brass case for the field gun would be 10.8 inches long.

John

Attachments

• 3 inch AAA Shrapnel.jpg
    3 inch AAA Shrapnel.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 47
cool shell

Hi Ditchfire, to me that shell looks "totally cool" and if I were you I would act immediatly, hit your local shows, hunt and peck on the internet and find other stuff to display with it and make a collection. Dano And maybe the fact that you disassembled the fuse has inspired my post!

Last edited:
ID Solved

Thank you Dano and Hazord. According to the measurements and specs this would be a 3" anti personnel shell. You both are very knowledgeable and I really appreciate you input.
Don

Hello,

I recently acquired the exact same 3 inch shell with fuse as shown in your pictures with the F.A. Model 1907 markings. I also have 8 shells and I'm assuming it goes with the shell that measures a little over 10.5 in. in length and "3In Field Guns", "Mod. of C2 04&05" and "F.A. 1908." bottom markings. I was curious if anyone knew of a price range on this projectile?

Thanks

- Grebo

Price range can vary according to the following:

If the projo is fired or unfired.
If it has original paint and markings.
How rusty or beat up it is
If it is relatively rare versus more common.
The condition of the nose fuze, beat up versus unfired.
If it is complete and fits together nicely, versus missing fuze etc.
and most importantly your selling environment, militaria/gun show versus flea market in an antigun state.

That all being said, if it has all parts, fired and fairly well cleaned up, start at $35.00 for the projectile and go up as conditions improve, or you could go lower if you become desperate.

A brass cartridge case for the same round could go for $35.00 on up also depending on condition, rarity, etc.

Last edited: