What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed - again!!!

hicky1300

Well still sorting & more ????`s!
Pics 1 & 2 are for what I think is a loading tool for hand loading cannon rounds into links? I have tried an Aden 30 mm round but no joy (almost)
It is stamped 7R/623 on the handle/cam lever (sect/ref no?)

3,4 & 5 are of I think an aerial bomb. Made of steelwith a brass fuse. Has a ring welded on. A spike/firing pin? can be seen thru centr hole in baes. No markings apart from V2 in a cicle on centre part of fuse. 160mm long & 75 ish at fattest part. Going to soak in WD over weekend & see if I can get fuse apart. Base also looks asthough it comes off as there is a grub screw in the side same as for fuse to lock them.

Attachments

• DCP01784.jpg
    DCP01784.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DCP01785.jpg
    DCP01785.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 38
  • DCP01786.jpg
    DCP01786.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DCP01787.jpg
    DCP01787.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DCP01788.jpg
    DCP01788.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 38
Belter and Practice Bomb.

Well Hicky the first item looks like a Primer seater, except that is unlikely with it being so large so maybe a hand tool for applying a single round into a belt tool.

The large "lump" you have is most likely an old version of the still used (well was in my day) 28 Pound Practice bomb with a "spotting charge" in the nose-hope you can see it is fully inert ?

I say "old" as I believe the first issue of these Bombs had Brass nose pieces such as yours.
A nice find and all you need now is a set of cast alloy fins to fit it.:tinysmile_cry_t4:
Good hunting.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Cheers for all that Chris.
Still in a bit of doubt about the tool. If as you suggest it may be for fitting primers how many still use push fit primers as I believe this tool to only be about 50 years old max?
I will try a few more of my collection in it to see what fits best - if anything!
As to the bomb front section I have looked up various 28 stuff/articles & even for an early one I do not think this is long enough or heavy enough?
Point taken about about the spotting charge will re-examine - carefully!
would this be along the same lines as the RAF `flash & smoke` training bombs?
Rgds

Band and Flash

Whilst Bombs are not really my thing Hicky, I believe you would be right about "Bang and Flash" of these items, I think also there is a smoke version.