What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed for a novice!

Son of a Gunner

Hello to all.
I wonder if some kind soul would mind helping me identify a bullet that belongs to a friend? He tells me that came from Sword Beach in Normandy and that it is a bullet from a Sten Gun. After a bit of research I am unsure that it can be definitely assigned to a Sten. Hopefully the markings on the base will be easy for some of you to indentify.
It measures 30mm from tip to base and 9mm across.
The markings on the base read as follows:

KAM St+ 8 44

Any help would be gratefully received!

Attachments

• Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Untitled-Scanned-05.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-05.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 58
The round is a german 9mm made by Hasag Eissen-u. Metallwerke A.G., Werk Skarzysko-Kamienna. Made in 1944.

PmmP

Just to add a bit more detail, these were used in the P.08 (Luger)and P.38 pistols and the MP38 and MP40 sub-machine guns

It is the same calibre as used by the British in their Sten guns and was interchangeable which explains your friend's comment.

The cartridge case is steel (St+ in the headstamp). British 9mm was brass cased, although small amounts of American steel cased 9mm M1 made by Western was supplied under Lend Lease.

Regards
TonyE

And here are some photo's of what it would have looked like with the original lacquer finish but may have not had the blackened projectile.

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P5070021.JPG
    P5070021.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P5070022.JPG
    P5070022.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 16