What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Needed for Projectile ID

Juzzy

Hello, I am considering purchasing the projectile in the attached photo that is up for sale in NZ, and was just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what it is and its age ? I'm told it is 4.3 inches (11cm) diameter, 19.3 inches (49cm) high, weighs about 10 - 15kg and has no 'insides'. How likely is it that the fuze would contain any nasty explosives ? (sorry if this is a dumb question !, I'm a bit paranoid about aquiring something dangerous).

Attachments

• unknown projectile.jpeg
    unknown projectile.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 123
That is not a stupid thought,if the fuse is live,it could be dangerous in the right situaction.From my experence the EOD tech that unloaded the shell usually makes the fuse safe.
But its always better safe thn sorry.Some one should look at it that no,s what there doing.
Some one will probably tack my head off for not telling you to take it to the police.
Good luck with your collecting.
vinny:vroam::vroam:

Juzzy, gave you some very good advice, looking at the damage to the fuze from impact. You get on the phone and get a expert to check it out.
make sure you have a camera They might take a picture for you when they Blow it up.

Better safe than sorry.

REgatds John.

Ask the seller to send you pictures of the fuze taken of the projectile, placing a ruler in the empty projectile body, as well as a picture of the lower side of the fuze.
If he starts telling you the fuze cannot be taken off , either "it was off, but corroded tight again" be carefull!!
Regards, DJH

The projectile is a 105mm Howitzer projectile, most likely an M1 HE or M84 base ejection smoke which could date back to WWII. Have him send a photo of the base to show if it was a smoke and the cannisters were blown out of the base. If that is the situation, then the fuze is most likely inert, since it functioned. If the base is solid, avoid it like the plague.

@ Hazord : Ok. Sending a picture of the empty carrier, pictured from the base would have avoided all kind of questions.
Regards, DJH

Thanks

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I have decided to let this one go and save my money for something I can be sure is safe. Your hints will be very helpful for sussing out things in the future. Cheers. :wink:

If the seller said it has nothing inside then he must have had the fuze off the round.
or as Hazord made note of it's a base ejecting M84
The fuze looks like a TSQ M54 Fuze
Which would be correct for a BE Smoke
Both the M1 and the M84 where a boat tailed round

(Information per TM 9-1901 September 1950 edition)

My rule is
If you can't see in it then leave it alone

Last edited: