What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed sectioning time pencil

Switch No 10

Assuming it is wartime, is it British or American, Mk I or Mk II? I would suggest that you avoid damaging a Brit Mk I particularly if it has a blue or brown safety strip.

it is a Brit one with a white strip. do you know how to dismantle are the soldered together in the middle??

Yeah, the best page I have seen about the Time Pencils. I had the chance to buy three complet boxes of these pencils and as they are not my field I took them for resell, but after have in hands the tins I just resold one, (an extra black), and put the other two with my UK stuff. It is the problem of to be a collector.

Attachments

• UK Time Pencils.jpg
    UK Time Pencils.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I have seen that website and it was that, that made me want to do it! Nice gammon by the way! Has anyone else sectioned one????

cutaway of time pencil

put a nail or small screw driver through the inspection hole to hold the lower brass body in place, leave the safety stripe in the btrass body just in case..... Take a small narrow plier, place it just above the joint between copper part and brass part and turn the upper copper part a little left and right, this will loosen up the hole type crimp. Then pull the upper copper piece off, it will come apart together with the spring loaded striker assembly.
After separation, loose up the top hex which holds the spring loaded striker wire to take off the striker with wire and spring, take out the glass vial.
At last, try to loosen up the primer assembly from the brass tube ( you might have to drill out the stake markings with a small drill bit.
The rest is cutaway!!
Mrfuze, USA

time pencil No.10 cutaway images

here are some images from a cutaway I made long time ago.The copper sleeve is tricky to cut, being so thin, so you should take a dremel tool or something similar.
Mrfuze, USA

Attachments

• No.10 time pencil, 1a, GB,GB,.JPG
    No.10 time pencil, 1a, GB,GB,.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 133
  • No.10 time pencil, 1b, GB,GB,.JPG
    No.10 time pencil, 1b, GB,GB,.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 143
Thanks for the pics I have managed to strip the pencil with your advice! that is a great way to un-crimp!! But i would prefer to cut 2x slots into the body like this one (see pic) also with it cut like this could you re cock the pencil??

what would be the best and neatest way??

Thanks

Chase

Image from http://www.timelapse.dk/timepencil.php

Attachments

• Timepencil_Sectioned_2.jpg
    Timepencil_Sectioned_2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 115
well, re-cocking isn't the problem, but I think the slot in the copper sleeve is being tricky!
Mrfuze, USA

But i would prefer to cut 2x slots into the body like this one (see pic) also with it cut like this could you re cock the pencil?
Yes you can reload the pencil but you better cut of a couple of the spring coils, to ease the pressure as the copper tube is considerable weakened due to removed section. It is very likely to collapse so be very careful.

Cutaway time pencil

Hi Chase
One thing i found out was go slow. Very easy to damage the copper end.
I thought about using a dremel but decided against it.
Using a milling machine as Anders says is the nice and clean but if you don't have access to one try by hand. The one in the picture is done by the following:
Find out where the steel wire will go through the time pencil and mark it on the outside as a centre line as i guess you want to show the wire infront of the glass vile. Take it apart again.
I started by drilling a hole with a pin vice and a 1mm drill at each end of where the slot should be (see pic) Go gradually up in drill size until the hole is the same width as the slot you want. (Be careful to stop the drill before it damages the inside of the tube on the other side) Mark between the outer edges of the holes and with repeated scoring with a scalpel with a new fresh blade, you should cut through the copper tube fine. Use a rod to support the copper tube from the inside so that it doesn't deform while cutting.
The body was cut in the same way but used a razor saw for the cuts between the holes. The other thing i did was to make up a fake spring in copper so that there was no real pressure on the wire but it looks compressed.
Hope this helps.

Good luck and don't rush it!
All the best
T42

Attachments

• Time-cutaway1.jpg
    Time-cutaway1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Right i have started!! well about an hour or so ago!! i will post pics when done. Oh thanks for the advice Turpin42 it has been spot on!!

Chase

Its done!!! please let me know what you think.

Thanks again all for the help!!

Chase

Please be gentle as this is my first cutaway!!

Attachments

• tp.jpg
    tp.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 102
Time pencil cutaway

Hi Chase
Looks great.
You picked a difficult one for your first cutaway...
Nice job!

All the best
T42