What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed to explain the design of this 90MM case

apfsds

Premium Member
I recently purchased this steel 90MM case and am curious if anyone can give me some information on what fired it, the type of projectile that may have been fitted on it and the meaning of the two primer type threaded holes in its base. Any help would be super appreciated.

Jason

photo 3.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Likely HEAT. Long fins, for a while they loaded the long-grain powder through the bottom.

Jason,

Jeff was correct about the projectile that goes with your case. Your case M114A1 was used exclusively with the M431 HEAT-T projectile.

I'm guessing you don't have an electronic copy (Pdf) of TM 43-0001-28 Artillery ammunition. It lists every case, primer, fuze, etc. that is used on each round of ammunition. That is how I confirmed what it was used on, just looked up the two HEAT rounds used in 90mm and the cases they use.

You might be able to find the manual online by Googling it. If not, send me your email, and I will email it to you. It is the U.S. modern Artillery ammo bible for collectors.

As added notes, your case was made by Norris Industries in Vernon California.

You might encounter cases in the future that have holes machined in them on the case head, where they have imbedded high pressure test sensors to record the pressure in the case when it was fired.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much! Very grateful to learn so much great information on this case and that "Extra" hole in its base. Super fascinating! This is the first time that I have seen this case so I bought it with-out knowing anything about it because the price was right :) I love the fact that it was either a port for filling or for a pressure sensor. To cool! I have an Israeli 60MM case that was used in some type of testing that has sensor holes drilled threw its side in a few places and also has the entire base removed for some reason :)

Thanks Big time for both of your help.

HAZORD, if not an inconvenience to you, I would love to see a copy of that manual you mentioned. My e-mail is jabels@mindspring.com

Jason,

To make it clear, The hole in your case is for filling it with propellant after the projectile is crimped in. It is a HEAT case. The 106mm RR HEAT case has the same type filler hole.

Another thing that is interesting about this case is that also has what I call "Inside The Case Headstamp" markings. Inside you can see the letters "KMI" or "KMT" engraved. I have seen this in a few 105MM M148A1B1 cases.

Jason

Some info from TM 9-1300-203, 1967.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 18