What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Needed to ID New Zealand Projectile

Juzzy

Hello,

I have just obtained a rusty old projectile and need a bit of help to ID it. It weighs 2.8kg (6.2lb), is 56mm (2.2 inches) in diameter, 170mm (6.7inches) long. The circular indentation in the base is 25mm wide, around 6mm deep, and is 15mm in from the edge of the base. The small hole in the very centre is about 3 - 4mm wide.

The guy I got it off said he found it in the sand dunes at Raglan (on the west coast of the North Island, south of Auckland), years ago. Does anyone have any knowledge of military activity in this area that would account for this ending up in the sand dunes ?

Thanks, any info would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• NZ Projectile 1.jpg
    NZ Projectile 1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 27
  • NZ Projectile 2.jpg
    NZ Projectile 2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 32
  • NZ Projectile 3.jpg
    NZ Projectile 3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 30
  • NZ Projectile 4.jpg
    NZ Projectile 4.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 29
Looks like a 57mm/6 Pdr. AP-T projo. That's an interesting tracer, with the small hole and evidently larger cavity behind it.

Could be a six pounder projectile. ~57mm
There were an number of six pounder guns setup during ww2 around harbours while more perminant fortifications were built i am unfamiliar with anything in the north island but this is what happend down in godleyheads (christchurch) and numerous sites around the south island.
Have a look for any markings some one else might be able to help.
Here is a list of all ww2 fortifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_fortifications_of_New_Zealand
Regards
Bart

Last edited:
Or could be from Army exercise with 6pr field gun?. Certainly in the past many more locations were used for live firing, i will see if i've got any info on that area.

Cheeers
Bob