What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Needed to ID Possible 2 Pounder APT Projo

Juzzy

Hi, I was wondering whether this was an anti-tank 2 pounder APT projectile ? It is 40mm (1.57 inches) diameter, 132mm (5.2 inches) long, and weighs 2.3lb (1.05kg). The small round cavity in the middle of the base is 12.5mm wide, and the larger depression it is in is 25.5mm wide & 3mm deep. It has J38 stamped onto the outer ring of the base.

Are there any hard or fast rules as how to visually distinguish between a solid APT projectile and a SAP projectile with HE inside by looking at the base cavity ? (without poking something into it to investigate !)

Thanks.

Attachments

• Projectile 1.jpg
    Projectile 1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Projectile 2.jpg
    Projectile 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Projectile 3.jpg
    Projectile 3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 26
Hi,

Most 2pr projectiles I have come across are clearly stamped on the body - something like "AP 2pr" etc, you may require to clean some of the rust off :)

Yes I would say definitely a 2pr APT - your measurements align with the one I have in my hands now, except the inner round cavity on my is 9.6mm diameter.

I would think that SAP projectiles would have a base fuse and hence a inner screw thread for the fuze - but I could be (and most often) wrong! (LOL)

Cheers
Drew

The base of the hole is steel. This is an AP projectile and is perfectly safe as it is simply solid turned steel.

interesting form under the driving band, not the usual British circumferential wavy ridges, any info on this form would be useful.