What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Needed With Identification

Darren

Hi All,
I am looking for some help to identify the manufacturer and the country of origin of this shell that i found.

Any other information/thoughts about this shell would also be great.

Regards,
Darren

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 59
Darren,

You are most welcome. One interesting thing you will notice about your U.S. case, is that the primer is smaller in diameter than almost all of the other WWII users of the L/60 40mm Bofors. Almost everyone else used larger diameter screw-in primers, whereas the U.S. Primers are press fit into the case. This is common practice with a majority of U.S. artillery cases WWI and WWII, and still continuing on 105mm Howitzer cases.

If you do a search for 40mm Bofors on this site, you will see photos of the German and UK cases with the screw in primers.

John

Last edited:
Darren,

You are most welcome. One interesting thing you will notice about your U.S. case, is that the primer is smaller in diameter than almost all of the other WWII users of the L/60 40mm Bofors. Almost everyone else used larger diameter screw-in primers, whereas the U.S. Primers are press fit into the case. This is common practice with a majority of U.S. artillery cases WWI and WWII, and still continuing on 105mm Howitzer cases.

If you do a search for 40mm Bofors on this site, you will see photos of the German and UK cases with the screw in primers.

John

Thank you John for that information, very interesting. I did notice this and it was going to be my next question. I wonder why such a difference in design.

Darren

I haven't ever read anything about the priorities of manufacturing methods for U.S. ammo. Historically, the U.S. was late getting into the artillery game. In WWI we used the French 75 and 155mm Howitzer. We did manufacture a huge amount of ammunition for use by our Allies in Europe, and as a result copied the Russian PD fuze for use on out 3" Field Gun projectiles. Since WWI was supposed to be the "War to end all wars", there wasn't a lot of development done till WWII for land ordnance, whereas the Navy continually upgraded.

It is probably do to economic priorities. European nations used removeable primers so they could reload the cases rapidly or change from percussion to electric primers. It costs much more to thread the case for a primer, and to thread the primer to fit the case, and both need to be just right to fit together. Since the U.S. didn't plan to reload their brass, it was just cheaper and better to make them a press fit.

I neglected to tell you that there are two markings on your case that indicate that it was for Navy use. THe Anchor is one and the MK2 is the other. Navy uses MK numbers, Army and Air Force use M numbers for cases

Here is info on the gun:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_pics.htm

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.htm

You will notice that the Navy guns seem to have a much larger barrel. They have water cooling jackets around the barrels due to their high rate of contiuous fire.

Attachments

• 016247 cleaning and greasing.jpg
    016247 cleaning and greasing.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 29
  • WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_Quad Mount.jpg
    WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_Quad Mount.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 29
  • WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_loading.jpg
    WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_loading.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 35
  • WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_Alaska_passing_pic.jpg
    WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_Alaska_passing_pic.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
bofors primers

Just an aside, the mkI Bitish and other early cases had the large original Bofors size primer, later British cases had a smaller primer, both screw in. 2pr

Yeah, how would you like to have one of the guns, and a room full of ammo like that? Makes for a fun holliday!