What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed with WW1 French 37mm case

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
Can anybody help me out with this case please, it looks to be a standard French 37mm 1 pounder case with traces of ink stamp but seems to have been rewaorked and had a different style and size of primer fitted.
Best regards Weasel.

IMG_20141225_194358.jpg

Your case was updated in 1935 judging by the date of the primer. There were problems late ww1 and after with 37mm munitions
in armored vehicles being shaken and things being loosened in the case causing hangfires and prematures. New primers were introduced to solve this. Image courtesy Andre' Durieux. The last is very much like an American push in primer.
You want to put a 1930s type 37mm in this, one of those magnesium AP or Mle 1918 HE, which all seemed to be produced around 1937. Mle 1888 common shell were made in the late 30s, but are extremely rare for some reason.

Attachments

• FrenchPrimer.jpg
    FrenchPrimer.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 42
  • FR.reprimed cases .jpg
    FR.reprimed cases .jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi Gordon,
Thank you very much for your swift reply, that is just what i needed to know. The round is not mine and i only had a couple of pictures to go on, i can now pass this info along.
Best regards Weasel.