What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help on a Rifle Grenade

EODGUY

I picked this German WWII era rifle grenade up in England many years ago and have not been able to find any decent information about it in any of my references. One reference I did find implied it was filled with white phosphorus. Can someone provide me details?

Attachments

• German RG 1.jpg
    German RG 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 122
  • German RG.jpg
    German RG.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for the help. I haven't seen another one, but didn't think it would be "rare". What is a fair market value on it as a cutaway...any idea?

A cut away item is difficult to price because not everybody wants to have a curtted piece in the collection. This is the extra rare BlendGranate42, one of the Holy Grails of the German Rifle Grenades.

Here an experimental smoke or chemical one from Bergmann. This one is rare.

IMG_9026-.jpg

GwBGw42 NEW INFO

I picked this German WWII era rifle grenade up in England many years ago and have not been able to find any decent information about it in any of my references. One reference I did find implied it was filled with white phosphorus. Can someone provide me details?

If I recall correctly, there were three(3) versions of this
quite rare German WWII rifle grenade . . . two(2) smoke
(Blend and Nebel) as well as a phosphorus. A large 'B' on
the nose denotes the Blend version. This info is stricly a
recollection of something I read a long time ago.

Ron B (USA)

Attachments

• GwBGw42 versions-1.jpg
    GwBGw42 versions-1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Kilroy, only 3 of these are known to exist.

Yes, I see that now, only 3, that's a very rare grenade! Are you going to maybe carefully oil it a bit here and there to slow the rust down a little? A little very careful cleaning maybe?

I like it the way it is, but it's so rare, maybe it should be preserved more in some way?
Not really sure, maybe it's best to leave it alone? :tinysmile_cry_t2:

It has some small holes already and I do not want to do any damage. I'll better leave it to the future owner.

It has some small holes already and I do not want to do any damage. I'll better leave it to the future owner.

Yeah, I know. Sometimes you make bigger holes, or more holes when you start picking at things.

A little oil will slow the rust though, and will not hurt anything. I use "Winchester" synthetic type gun oil which used to be called "break-free" or "tri-flow" until Winchester bought them out. I get it at wal-mart now.

I find that on my relic grenades this type oil brings out the original paint color quite a bit, with no adverse reactions or damage. Makes relic grenades look pretty good sometimes.

Yeah, I know. Sometimes you make bigger holes, or more holes when you start picking at things.

A little oil will slow the rust though, and will not hurt anything. I use "Winchester" synthetic type gun oil which used to be called "break-free" or "tri-flow" until Winchester bought them out. I get it at wal-mart now.

I find that on my relic grenades this type oil brings out the original paint color quite a bit, with no adverse reactions or damage. Makes relic grenades look pretty good sometimes.

Well, I have no access to US products. But no worries it is kept dry and safe for the time being.

Bergmann was the leading developing company in German rifle grenades. No further info, this one is basically unknown.

I believe I've seen a similar one, but without the larger section at the nose - would it also be smoke? I can look later for photos.

Jeff, hard to say without images. Would be great to see these docs.

There was a "doppelschussgranate" as described in the recent rifle grenade book of Michael Heidler. This was basically a rocket assisted rifle grenade as far as i understood. I am just not sure if you mean this one now or another one.

GwBGe42 versions drawing . . .

Please check my recent response on this topic as I
found and have posted a drawing of the versions of
this rare German WWII rifle grenade FYI

Ron B (USA)