What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help on cutaway

Spaceinvader

Hello! I'm trying my hand at some simple cutaways (38spl, 50cal) and I was wondering what kind of things you guys use for the gunpowder in a hand gun casing. I have some ideas but I want some others before I go ahead. Thanks in advance! -Rhys

Ummmm, I use the appropriate pistol or rifle powder. Mix it with a little Elmer's White Glue and when it dries you can't tell the difference.

Of course, if you live somewhere that doesn't permit having sectioned cases with real powder, you can use black sand or somehing like that. If it's too course, you can grind it up.

Ray

Yeah, I don't have a firearms licence, so I can't get gun powder. I was thinking sand, so that's good to know! Thanks!

If you have one nearby it may be worth a visit to a model shop that does stuff for making scenery on model railways,

Oh thats a great idea. I know there used to be one around me, I think it went out of business a few years ago though. I will see whats around and experiment a bit. Thanks gentlemen!

Graphite pencil leads(ie,for propelling pencils) cut to the correct length.
Skinny spaghetti for cordite,seal with varnish/poly.
Sand (or bead blasting media,ie glass) mixed with glue/resin for spherical powder,dust with graphite for the finish.

Ummmm, I use the appropriate pistol or rifle powder. Mix it with a little Elmer's White Glue and when it dries you can't tell the difference.

Of course, if you live somewhere that doesn't permit having sectioned cases with real powder, you can use black sand or somehing like that. If it's too course, you can grind it up.

Ray

That's exactly what I have done on the very rare occasions I have done sections Ray(always end up hurting myself so....),not sure what Elmers white glue is but I used wood glue,the type that is white but dries clear.

Does this qualify as 'real' powder if mixed with glue?

Tony

For riflepowder I cut 1x1x0,5mm squares. Takes some time, but the result is satisfactory.
This picture was taken a few years ago when cutaways containing any form of energetic material were prohibited and I had tor replace all powder.
For fine ballpowder I take rough sandpaper and spray it anthracite (between dark grey and black).
For granular powder I use spagetti, cut to length.

I Always use cartboard negatives that fit the shellcase to which the squares, granulars and sticks are glued. The cartboard plate is glued to the inside of the shellcase with a small drop of glue.
This enables easy removal without damage of the powdercharge when one wants to repolish a corroded cutaway model decades later.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• P1230231.jpg
    P1230231.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 92
  • P1230235.jpg
    P1230235.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I would be afraid of using substitute fillings which look too much the real powder. Over here authorities do not check what the stuff really is but demolish it and them sue the poor owner for explosive crime. The same goes with hand grenades etc. filled with plaster to look and weight authentic.

I would be afraid of using substitute fillings which look too much the real powder. Over here authorities do not check what the stuff really is but demolish it and them sue the poor owner for explosive crime. The same goes with hand grenades etc. filled with plaster to look and weight authentic.

That's why I made the pictures, as a proof that it is fake.

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
For blackpowder, I use coal dust of a suitable size, glued to a piece of balsa wood that has been shaped to fit the case. For cordite, if I didn't use some of the original charge glued to balsa, I would look to get thin plastic rod from a model shop, and painted the right colour.

Heres the 38spl I did, the gunpowder didnt quite come out as I hoped :tinysmile_cry_t4: Other wise it went decently. There is no primer as I started with an already inert case I got a while back at a military surplus place. Also decided to throw in a very simple 223. bullet I sectioned. I would like to hear some suggestions and such on how to do it better next time! -Rhys

Attachments

• DSCN1669[1].jpg
    DSCN1669[1].jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN1670[1].jpg
    DSCN1670[1].jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1663[1].jpg
    DSCN1663[1].jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1664[1].jpg
    DSCN1664[1].jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1665[1].jpg
    DSCN1665[1].jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 50
That looks ok, a bit sticky,but if you dust with graphite it might make flakes look more seperated.
For the primer ,see if you can get a fired case and use the primer from that,you can sometimes flatten the pin mark from the inside.

Bob

One minor comment. A 38 Special powder charge would have been no more than 3 or 4 grains weight. Only about 1/2 the empty space would have been filled.

ray

I have a nice 30mm APDS Cutaway that uses tiny lead shot balls as a powder simulate :)

Jason