What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Please with ID of 2 different projectiles.

Fr Cdn AT

Ordnance approved
Good day/evening/night Gents,

Need some help in ID for those two inert piece that I recently found in my area of responsability.

The first one seem to be some sort of very heavy hard plastic/rubber projectile... 8 inchs long total x 40mm, 4 symetric holes and two of those seem to have some what burned marks. All black with wide white band painted at the bottom near the fin assy. Four fin on the tale. A toy maybe???

The second one... is also a complete piece. about 3.25 inch x a little bit more then 12 inch long. there a ridge on the driving band. no marking at all... Inside is totaly empty and projectile it self seem to be light... I mean it does not look that it is made of cast iron. A drill round of some sort maybe??? for teaching purposes...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance. Cheers.

Frenchy.

Attachments

• IMAG0413.jpg
    IMAG0413.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0425.jpg
    IMAG0425.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0410.jpg
    IMAG0410.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0411.jpg
    IMAG0411.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0419.jpg
    IMAG0419.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0408.jpg
    IMAG0408.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0402.jpg
    IMAG0402.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0406.jpg
    IMAG0406.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 50
The second projectile looks like an unfired 18pr Mk II and almost certainly from a drill round, never seen one like it before! Depotman

I'm thinking your first rubber projectile is a tear gas projectile to penetrate windows and then gas the insides of an enclosed area. I agree with Depotman that your second is an 18 Pdr projo, as it is the correct diameter and has the characteristic 18 Pdr rotating band.

Thank you very much for your expertise gents.

I kind of had a pretty good idea of what they were. There is some characteristics associate to both of projectiles that are gives away.
It just that, I really needed a second opinion on those one... can't know it all :tinysmile_eyebrow_t !... as I never seen those particulars projectiles before, my self.
That's why your there... lol

Again... an awesome thank you.

Cheers.
Luc.

Last edited:
There is the possibility of markings under the rust - if you can clean it. I have not seen N 18 Pr with that kind of nose before.

Not sure about 18pr drill, drill dont often have full size bands otherwise they would jamb and need to be pushed out from the muzzle.

The 18 pounder,seems to me with a lightweight construction like that to be either a smoke or chemical shell,or if the top unscrews could be for messages,the weapon was around for along time and a lot of ammo was made of different types. Whatever it is it should be stamped somewhere,so worth cleaning up,nice shell. Tig.