What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please

Richard709

Hi, Does anyone have the measurements for a 1oz CE Primer Container, as I would like to make one. They must be quite rare these days as I can't find an original anywhere. I have a photo of one but that's not much help for the size.

Thank you

Richard

Hello Richard, Just found some info in DWS Notes on Ammunition Issue 6A Section II Demolition stores 11/1942. `CE primers are enclosed in a waxed paper cover. The central perforation is not tapered and is lined with waxed paper......CE primers are packed in guncotton primer tins or in trade packages which contain ten primers in a waxed paper cylinder 12 1/2 inches long, 1 3/8 inch diameter (weight 1Lb 3 Oz). Ten of these cylinders are packed in a cardboard box (weight 14 Lb).' I only ever saw 1 Oz primers in the cylindrical tins x 10. Six cylinders were contained within a rectangular wooden box that had a wooden lid secured with a number of brass or bronze screws. I believe we destroyed the last of the CE in 1980 but continued to use GC primers. Within the tin cylinders was a cardboard disc under the lowest primer, with a cord loop attached to it. The loop passed through the central perforation of each primer and protruded through the top primer, to assist in removal of the primers from the cylinder, ready for their use. I hope this helps.