What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help please

lardyboy

I am the owner of a large maria in essex and a lover of all things military.
i would love to buy a ww2 flating sea mine as part of the decor of the marina , but am unsure of how to get one.
any ideas?

Hi,
wouldnt it be easier to make one out of fibre glass? Ime sure the specs must be available.

Andy

That is really not a bad idea, given the cost of buying a genuine one these days. And not to tricky a job to make out of fibreglass.
Weasel.

I have thought about making one from fibreglass but then I wouldnt be happy with that, I like the fact that this once terrifying object can now be put to use as an aesthetically pleasing ornament. How much would I be looking at if I could find one?

I hope another member can help you. I suspect if you could find one, in good condition, you would have to pay a lot for it. In not such good nick, well, restoration would add a lot to the cost.
I wouldnt have a clue as to value, be interested to find out.

Good hunting.

Andy

Hi again,
just done a search on this forum for sea mine and came up with a few pics by a member fbi.is and he may be able to help. Do check out his piccies, they show quite a few sea mines of the type i think you are looking for. Once again, good luck.

Andy

Although once upon a time councils were selling them off from sea side town collection boxes at about 30 each, If you can find one now you will pay anything from 400 up from what i have seen.
Best Weasel.

Funny mine trolley!

Why is the mine sat on a "Pitch burner" that roofers use for melting the pitch????

You can see the gas burner inlet and the shute where the molten pitch drains out and I would imagine it weighs a ton as it will be lined with fire bricks.

The mine itself is really nice.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t