What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help to Identify WW II Brass Shells

pelham47

Hello,
I picked up the following shells recently at a show. There was a British 25 pounder and a 6 pounder and 4 smaller 25MM.? shells.

I am looking to find out if the 6 pounder is cut down or if I am even identifying it right? It does not look like others I have seen. The 25 pounder is clearly WW II dated.

The four shells appear to be 25MM, but I am not sure. I am looking for era or gun they were fired from. They all have an anchor with an S next to 4,6,8 or 9/17. Also, some unidentifiable Asian looking symbols..?

Also, was looking for any reference books on WW II artillery shells. I collected American Civil War artillery for years and there are many books available for the subject. I cant seem to find much WW II except for your forum.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Shells in Relic Room 012.jpg
    Shells in Relic Room 012.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Shells in Relic Room 023.jpg
    Shells in Relic Room 023.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 72
  • Shells in Relic Room 026.jpg
    Shells in Relic Room 026.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Shells in Relic Room 028.jpg
    Shells in Relic Room 028.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Shells in Relic Room 001.jpg
    Shells in Relic Room 001.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 61
Your 25mm cases are most likely Jap 25mm Hotchkiss antiaircraft cases from WWII. They are Jap marked and very common in the U.S. There are European manufactured versions made by Germany and other during WWII but yours are Jap.

There should be some threads about them here on BOCN:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/more-jap-rounds-t44557.html?t=44557&highlight=25mm+Jap

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/25x163-hotchkiss-he-t4034.html?t=4034&highlight=25mm+Jap

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/japanese-25mm-aa-t31627.html?t=31627&highlight=25mm+Jap

Your 6 Pdr case, if full length would be 57mm diameter at the mouth, but your copy is cut down, most likely to be a blank/saluting case. That case is UK manufactured.

Last edited:
Here's a nice drawing of one of your 25mm(Jap.) shells and a couple of pics to compare.

Attachments

• Shell, Jap 25MM.jpg
    Shell, Jap 25MM.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Jap 25MM 003 (Small).jpg
    Jap 25MM 003 (Small).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Jap 25MM 001 (Small).jpg
    Jap 25MM 001 (Small).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 17
The four shells appear to be 25MM, but I am not sure. I am looking for era or gun they were fired from. They all have an anchor with an S next to 4,6,8 or 9/17. Also, some unidentifiable Asian looking symbols..?

They are Japanese 25mm AA cases.

The "S4/17" are the manufacturing date stamps:

"S" stands for "Showa" - 1926 onwards
"4" is the month (April)
"17" is the 17th year in Showa

i.e. April, 1942.

So they are all 1942 vintage, just different months.

The "anchor" is an arsenal stamp.

Cheers
Drew

Thanks all very much for the reply! Your wealth of knowledge is very helpful. I do appreciate the information. I just need to find some projectiles now for these four. Thanks again!
Regards,
Pelham47

Yes, they look much better complete!

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• Jap25mmAA.jpg
    Jap25mmAA.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 21
Yes, they always look better to me complete. I saw where another member had ask about finding the projectiles, I wonder if he ever had any luck? Ebay is about my only hope around here. Thanks for the pic of what I am looking for. Regards,