What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help what is this?

womble

Hi there every one does anybody have any ideas at to what this projectile could be, it has been fired, it is only thin walled and very light weight (not like an HE etc), there is no nose fuse and at the base is only what seems to be a nut. overall length is 230mm and diameter at drive band is 88mm. there are not other marks or stamps that can be seen. there is asmall hole in the nose which has rusted through, there are no contents and it is empty other than a few bits of rust rattling about inside.

my thoughts are is a canister round? if so for what -gas?, canister shot ? - (but this is fired and is intact but has no contents) so this could be ruled out , is it German ?

so If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Cheers

Womble

Attachments

• DSC_1629.jpg
    DSC_1629.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_1630.jpg
    DSC_1630.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 74
First of all, I'm not seeing any proof that the projectile has been emptied or proven to be empty. If that is the case, you should be most concerned with calling the authorities and having it dealt with immediately.

Hazord-as I have stated there is a hole at the nose end and I can see that the projectile is empty by looking into the hole, I was not aware that I had to provide photographic evidence to back up what I have said. This is difficult to take a photo of the the inside as most good camera lenses is about 50mm diameter and also allowing for access for the flash to enter to achieve a suitable exposure would be difficult, I am fully aware of the legal requirements regarding ammunition and explosives, I only collect inert ammunition and if I was not 100% satisfied that anything was other than inert I would not entertain it.

with regards

Womble