What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with 20mm Rounds

Douglas2496

Hello, can anyone tell me more about these two 20mm rounds I have. I presume the steel cased one is German, is the brass one British, and what would they have been fired from/used for? There are no markings on the left hand (brassed cased) projectile, only on the shell case. I have unscrewed the fuse on the German projectile, it is safe and empty, presumably the other is a practice round (it is solid with no fuse) ? Any help appreciated. Doug

Attachments

• 6D2A4628.jpg
    6D2A4628.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 78
  • 6D2A4633.jpg
    6D2A4633.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 6D2A4634.jpg
    6D2A4634.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 6D2A4635.jpg
    6D2A4635.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 43
The Brass cased 20mm is a 20mm Hispano, fired by Spitfire, Hurricane ,Typhoon, Mosquito and Meteor, Vampire, Venom, Shackleton. It is a ball round used for target practice.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Doug,
The German round is a 2cm Mg151/20 "M" Minengeschoss cannon round, these were a thin walled larger capacity projectile with a rounded base that were fitted with a ZZ1505 SD fuze.
Best regards Weasel

Hi Doug,
Collecting 20mm cannon rounds is a really interesting path to go down, with so many types out there, WW2 German cannon rounds are my area of interest as there still some really nice examples out there and not to expensive unless you stat hunting down the rare ones.
Best regards Weasel.