What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with 5.56 id

xrtaf

Hi Guys,
I have run out of all my resources identifying a strange headstamp on RG 5.56.
Reading clockwise from 12 0clock,RG 00 o with + Q 5.56mm.
I know RG is Radway Green,00 is year,o with + is NATO compliance.
The Q is new to me and i have never seen the 5.56mm.
Any help will be welcomed.
Many Thanks,
Terry

Last edited:
Unusual item !

I am going to guess that it is either as smle says=Proof round, or it is a quality specimen used for calibration of whatever with the round being made to ultra fine tolerances/exact fill/velocity etc.
Not seen one of those before-we need Tony E for his opinion !

SAA not my bag!

Hi Terry, firstly thank you for the photograph and secondly SAA is not really my thing but I still cannot help but find it all very interesting.

Someone here will identify this I have no doubt.

Hi Chris,
I think its great that everyone is willing to resolve this problem,experts or not its the help that counts and i thank all who have helped so far.
Tony (smle 2009)have you worked out who i am yet?
All the best.
Terry

Q

It will not be a proof round for a number of reasons. Britain stopped using the "Q" code for proof when we adopted the NATO "L" style of nomenclature. Also, as has been mentioned, the British code for proof is L4A1 for 5.56mm and the case has a knurled rim. Also the whole headstamp is adrift. By 2000 RG were using a standard headstamp with the L code, not "5.56mm".

I do not know what it is, but I suspect that some form of quality round might be a fair guess. Alternatively, it may be a sample for a possible export contract, but whatever, it is a nice headstamp.

I will see what I can find out.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Hello Terry,
yes the penny has just dropped mate! a big welcome to you!
I was ony guessing about the proof thing as a factory in house job! but the NATO (+) would not tie in with this? I think Chris may be closer to the mark with this and agree we need TonyE on this one,also have a idea in the back of my mind about a test batch for the new 00 date? probably a dumb idea!

All the best
Tony

I like the export contract theory. My first thought was Qatar, but the Nato symbol gave me pause.

It will not be a proof round for a number of reasons. Britain stopped using the "Q" code for proof when we adopted the NATO "L" style of nomenclature. Also, as has been mentioned, the British code for proof is L4A1 for 5.56mm and the case has a knurled rim. Also the whole headstamp is adrift. By 2000 RG were using a standard headstamp with the L code, not "5.56mm".

Bang on TonyE,same as my findings.

I have done some more research on these cases,my findings may solve the problem,but to me a bigger question Why,what for ect.
The rounds were issued to "Special Forces".
All the best,
Terry

Q

When you say "Special Forces" do you mean that the round came out of Hereford?

I am open to suggestions (well, decent ones anyway) but I doubt if that is an issue round for anybody for the reasons outlined in my post. However, never say never....

I am glad my thoughts concur with yours.

Regards
TonyE

The special forces thing seems a bit odd to me,seems to be bit of a signature?
especialy 'out of Hereford' from a Regiment that like to keep it's buisness to it's self?

Tony

Special forces

I agree with you re: "advertising" by using a special headstamp,Tony, which was why I said I doubted that it was issued to anybody.

It seems that whenever something different turns up it has to be "Special Forces" !

Cheers
TonyE

Hi Tony,(smle)
Do you still have my contact number,if so give me a call and i will explain Special Forces?.
All the best,
Terry

Well Terry, You have us all wondering now!!
Hangarman
It seems "Special Forces" has created quite a stir.
Here,s how i came to get the 5.56.
Three weeks ago whilst shooting on a military range,a friend of mine(ex BAE Systems employee)gave me all his used cases,last week a customer of mine requested 223 cases with Winchester headstamps.Searching my stock i found a small quantity of cases for my customer,while looking i decided to check the batch from the ranges (not yet sorted)all the cases were RG,15 were these 5,56 Q headstamps out of nearly 2000 cases.
Did a lot of research found nothing apart from info TonyE also found.
Posted info on BOCN friday night.
Saturday (yesterday) shooting at the same ranges,enquired with the range warden,he new nothing,but admitted "its a strange one".
Spoke to my friend who gave me the cases,"dont ask" was his first reply,nagging him for a while,he told me all the ammo shot that day (3 weeks ago)was ammo left over from the range used by "Special Forces"
That was all he would tell me.
So there you are guys you know as much as me.
Best wishes,
Terry