What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with a .303 MkIV Tracer please

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone shed a little light on a tracer I have just got

Head stamp - DC G IV Z 1941 it has a nickel bullet with a white tip.

thanks
Richard.

Last edited:
Hi Richard, it was made as sgtlynn says Dominion Cartridge Co Canada i dont think they are rare and they are a short range day tracer to about 550yds as i can recall from memory but TonyE would know more.
Andy

G.iv

550 yds Day tracer as has already been posted.

The Canadian ones are quite common, but the British made ones are harder to find. They appear to have only been produced in 1941 and I have examples by Blackpole (B^E), Royal Laboratories and K4.

Apart from your Dominion cartridge Co example, Defence Industries (DI) also made some.

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
what is the difference between the GIV and GVI,both daylight tracers and both have a white tip?( besides 4 and 6:xd:)
Cheers
Tony

GIV and GVI

The original GIV had a short 34mm bullet weighing 158 grns. with a short tracer container as it was only required to trace to 550 yards.

To simplify production it was decided to use the components of the G Mark V. This had a longer 37mm bullet weighing 151 grns. with a longer tracer container. The front end of the tracer canister had an inert filling to take up the space that was not required by a 550 yard trace. This was known as the GIV/2 bullet.

In mid 1942 it was decided to seal this as a new round, the G Mark VI for Naval use.

So to answer your question, the G Mark VI is the same as the G Mark IV/2 with a new designation.

Regards
TonyE