What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with hand grenade

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
What is this one ?
Same shape as Danish M/54 and Swedish M/56.
White paint makes me think to a practice grenade.
Any idea ?

Danish M54 Grenade.JPG

There is no doubt that it is from the same family, and the E would likely be for "exercise". But I have never seen the HE body style used. My Danish has the typical holes in the top. Photo for comparison. Maybe an export when they went to a newer model?

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
What is this one ?
Same shape as Danish M/54 and Swedish M/56.
White paint makes me think to a practice grenade.
Any idea ?

View attachment 193592
The Danish M/54 only exist in two official practice versions. The one with the holes in order to bleed the gasses from the practice charge as shown in the post from US-Subs, and a solid one where even the spoon and the top of the fuse are part of the casting. It is usually painted bright orange.
What is the weight of the one that you have? I have a demo version used in exhibitions and by sales representatives. It is impossible to tell the difference from the live ones. The inner fragmentation cup has not been inserted before assembling and of cause no explosive, so the weight is only 175 gram.Handgrenade_M54_Training (1).jpg

Last edited:
As far as I know is Drill Handgrenade in Danisch "Exsercer Håndgranat". So I think the E is for Exsercer.

HGR M54.jpg

To the left the two outer ½ cups for the Danish M/54 before assembling. To the right the aforementioned grenade without the inner fragmentation cup and explosive. Weight 175 gram.

Last edited:
For your information. An early and now obsolete version of the first practice grenade for the M/54 made on the Danish AMA (Ammunitions Arsenalet).
The other photos shows the early practice grenades for the M/23 with the nomenclature M/41. They both contain 30 grams (1.058 oz) of black powder.
Many years ago I wrote an article for the SAR (Small Arms Review) magazine about the M/23. It can be found here: Hand Grenade M. 1923
Handgrenade_M54_Practice_Obsolete.jpgHandbomb_M41_Sectioned.jpgHandbomb_M41_Stripped (4).jpg