What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Hispano!

RogerKP

Can anyone help please with this Hispano 20mm round? ( Sorry it's come up sideways!)

Hispano.jpg

I know the cartridge is British, headstamp is K2 1942.

It's the projectile I'm questioning. I think it's Explosive, but not sure if it's Incendiary as well.
The markings on it are CE IZ, with a small M above. On the fuze is 253/1/M.
There are traces of red within the lettering on the projectile, so I'm wondering if it would have been red originally?

Many thanks

Roger

Hispano HEI.jpgI only have Ball and HEI Hispano cartridges with K2 1942 20MM Headstamps and No 253/1 fuze. Yellow and red is the usual colour for HEI.
I doubt that any straight Incendiary rounds were used or loaded in 1942? M CE 1Z is a common mark on HEI projectiles.

Thanks Ron
That seems to be just what I want to confirm what I thought - it's obviously lost it's paint. It's odd that the letters on your round are upside down , but then you are in Australia!!!
By the way, you know what the M stands for?
Roger

Hey there. It is UK makers lying down on the stamping job, not us Aussies. M is the projectile maker, unknown to me. Thanks.