What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with ID American Grenades

PBWWII

Over the last few weeks ive found these 3 grenades and gun shows and flee-markets i'm a new collector and i am not sure about a few things i was unable to find searching the internet and this forum.

First here is what i think is a m30, it has the Markings RFX55, and M4 on the casing, I'm not sure when and why this grenade was painted it seems like it has been on there for awhile would it be a good idea to restore it to its blue color? Also i am un sure about the fuse head and spoon the spoon has been clearly painted and i can see some blue showing underneath, but i can not figure out what the fuse is and if the spoon is correct.

Second here is what i think is a m21 practice grenade with a m205a fuse, now what threw me off is when i got home went to unscrew the fuse head and saw that, i could not figure why the fuse would be like that i could not unscrew it from the body just the top unscrews and the rest stays in the grenade, is this correct or did someone just do some strange hack job to it?( there was a red fiber washer that i had removed and is not in the photos that was in the gap between the fuse and body. This is also clearly painted and i want to restore it back to its blue color.

Lastly I got a mkii grenade i am un sure of what type it is, first a m10 fuse will no screw into it, it also is threaded on both ends and is marked with a "N" on its casting. What would be a correct fuse and more info about it if you know.

Thank you for your help in advance and if you need more photos of cert areas to help me ask.
IMG_0803.jpgIMG_0799.jpgIMG_0804.jpgIMG_0807.jpgIMG_0809.jpg

Your M30 is a practice one as you mentioned. It should have a M10 or M205 fuze with a blue spoon and red tip on the bottom of the handle.

The M21 you have is probably a copy.. god knows why some people "bubba" things...

Your MkII should have a different type of thread than the M205 fuzes.. Should take a M5 or M10 I believe.
They were threaded on the bottom for a lead "plug".

I am sure that the "experts" on here will enlighten us further and correct my errors.

Thanks for your response, on the "m30" the fuse is not a kind ive seen before its not any of the new fuses m228,smoke ex.. nor does it seem to be a m205a1, it has the ring around the bottom of the fuse head and not a hump as you would see on ether of the new fuses or the m205.

on the m21 i did get the other part of the fuse out, a m228,ex does not fit in the threads so i am to believe that it is not a copy but a real practice m21, just wanted to be correct that it is bubbaed and not some weird fuse, also as i type im stripping the green paint off and nice even coat of blue is starting to show.

And with the mki/mkii it does not take m10 fuses i have a few of them to try none worked.

Last edited: