What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION OF THIS 40mm PROJECTILE

1. Any markings?
2. Is the hole in the base threaded?
3. Does the top portion unscrew?

Looks very much like one of the "souvenir" 2-pdrs dated 11AM-11-11-18 that were made as cigarette lighters.

Regards,
Roger.

Hi ydnum, no markings, the hole is threaded, top don't unscrew, I am convinced that it is a 2 pounder naval practice projectile, I suspect that the threaded hole was for mounting on a plinth at sometime as the hole is too narrow for a tracer to screw into. I maybe wrong, hopefully someone will have more info. cheers, MICK

I'd tend to agree with Roger, I think its a commemorative piece (minus its plinth), The driving band on a 2 Pounder should be 15.9mm wide

mmm, dont think its practice, if its solid it would be too heavey, also no solid 2pr AA for any other logical ordnance reason. Have you weighed it? It's got a distinct line arround the end of the parallel portion, take a glass to it and look to see if its a joint line. If it is then penetrating oil, light taps around the joint and protect the surfaces and apply plenty of torque. Agree the band does not look right, too wide and not formed down at the front to the body dia like true 2pr bands. Why is the below band section more corroded than the rest? does the base clean up and show no closing plug?

003.jpg002.jpg001.jpg004.jpgHi Patrick,i tried everything I could without damaging the proj as I thought the screwed off,the drive band is the same as my other 2 pounder naval rounds,there is no closing plug at the base,i inspect every round with a mag glass in natural light just in case there are very feint markings,i only post if completely stumped.

I had this round posted sometime ago,as far as I am aware,there are no records of this round,when I got this round,it still had the link attached,the case was primerless and empty,but in a very poor state,so I carefully cut the WW2 dated case off,the stamps on the proj are......AP 2 Pr 1V/N LUV 4 44, as you can see, the base unscrews then there are 2 felt wads, and another plug, it is still a mystery, as far as weighing projectiles, bathroom scales are useless.

for weighing try kitchen scales or maybe the local post office if they are friendly.

I bought a nice set of Salter digital scales in Tescos for 9.00. They weigh up to 3kg in 1g increments

That's a good one "POST OFFICE", salter digital scales sound like the better option,cheers guys