What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with some .303's please

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone give me any info on -

head stamp

FNM I think it is Fabrica Nacional de Municoes, Portugal
GB - Greenwood & Batley of Leeds

Can anyone tell me anything about these 2

cheers
Richard.

Yes, both those are correct.

What do you want to know? Portugal used .303 from WWI until the mid 1930's, but in latter years FNM produced amm on contract for all sorts of people including the British (7.62 x 51mm and 9mm).

Greenwood & Batley are one of the most important ammunition companies in the UK, as they made much of the cartridge making machinery for countries all over the world as well as the ammunition itself.

For example, the .303 Rubin rounds used in the Lee Metford 1888 Troop Trials were made by GB, and they produced tens of millions of rounds in both world wars, ranging from .303 to 15mm BESA.

They also used the headstamp code "G" (as well as "GB") on the early marks of .303. I have 1888 Rubin, Powder Ball Mark II, Cordite Ball Mark II, IV, V, VI, VII and VIIz by GB. AFAIK, they only produced ball and dummy in .303.

Regards
TonyE

Many thanks, the FNM case I have looks to have a boxer primer would this have been for civi use & if so what bullet wieght would it have had in it.

Richard.

Fnm

Without knowing the complete headstamp I cannot be sure, but I think your FNM round will be commercial. Two reasons for this, the use of Boxer primers suggests it was meant for re-loading and it is likely to be of modern vintage and there is hardly anybody left using .303 in any military sense. Yes I know the Indian and Pakistani militia still make some use, but they have plenty of ammo and can make their own if they need it.

If the headstamp is "FNM .303 BRITISH" or similar it is definitely commercial, but even if the headstamp is dated it could still be commercial.

Bullet weight was in all probabilities the normal Mark VII weight of 174 grains.

Regards
TonyE

Yes it is FNM .303 BRITISH you are correct many thanks I can put it with the commercial ones now.

thanks again

Richard.