What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helpful research material, U.S. unfortunately!

Bob Lamoreaux

For those interested in small arms, as well as a few titles on larger ordnance, I'd like to recommend the Project Supporting Papers generated by the U.S. Army Ordnance Dept. after World War II. Unfortunately, these are hard to find outside the National Archives (the U.S. on -- I'm an old fellow and still refer to the British archives as the Public Records Office!). The U.S. Army"green book" series (History of the U.S. Army in World War II) is excellent, as is the British "History of the Second World War" series, particularly Hall's "North American Supply". A great internet source -- again mostly for U.S. material, but having some British material from WW I, is Hathitrust.com (might be .org!). Nice collection of manuals, manuscripts, other material in the public domain. I am going to try to "publish" some of the PSPs complete with annotations -- so that even more info is available.

Bob,

Thank you for the pointing out the Hathitrust.com digital library site (University of Michigan). Unfortunately there is one drawback to using this site ,you must be a member of a participating university or other institution with a password or you cannot log in to download pdf files from the digital library. :tinysmile_cry_t:

So you can still look at digital files on line but you cannot download without a password.

Brian

Last edited:
It is true that one cannot download .pdf files from the Hathitrust library, BUT! -- and I know this is a pain -- one can print individual pages Time and ink consuming, but generally worth it. Also, note that some of the older material (World War I grenade manuals, for example) may not have had the illustrations scanned or -- in the case of "fold-out" illustrations -- the photos or drawings might not have been scanned completely.