What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's an other one, Need help with ID please.

Fr Cdn AT

Ordnance approved
Good evening,

Did not look at it truly, it was getting late and dark but roughly 4.5 in dia. about 15 in long and weigh roughly 20-30 lbs. For some reason I'm thinking naval... but totally guessing. Anyone, your thought would be appreciated. I will take another look tomorrow. As you can see, there's a lot of rust and corrosion which make ID difficult.

Thank you in advance.

Luc.

Pict. 1.jpgPict. 2.jpgPict. 3.jpgPict. 4.jpg

the band doesn't look naval to me. could be How. with steel fuze, weight seems a bit low, would be nearer 35lbs.

If you were to remove the rust etc. from the base, you might find some info stamped into it.

Be Careful what your doing
That is a LIVE 4.5 inch HE Howitzer. Its alright to pick up and look at but dont try cleaning it off or you will be food for the birds on the telegraph poles.
WW1 British 4.5 inch

Good evening everyone,

Sorry to have taken so long for replying to this thread, was kinda busy between moving from remote location that I was sent too for almost two years and now back at main office. First and formost, for Mr. Lawton, thank you very much for your sound advice and concern. It is SOP for us to take the extra care that is needed when we're not sure of what we are dealing with on site when we do pick-ups like this one. If only you knew the circumstances of how this one has been found... It was kinda funny when we think about it!!. Thank god, nothing bad happen. And thank you for directing me in the right direction. (Stating that it was a WWI Brithish 4.5 Inch).

Also... Thank you Allan (Spotter) for the time you toke in sending me information via PM. Most appreciated. Feel free to do it again in the future. Thank you for comments made by other members as well...

Now back to the projo... it is in fact a 4.5 inch and seem to have all the apperance to be HE. It happen to be that... we had one just like it at main office so was prety happy when I saw it. The only thing that is realy throwing me off at this point is the fuze??? (Third pict. from left) It seem to have the shape of a more recent era type fuze. Like a recent regular PD with flat nose. In attachement below, here's a few pictures of the find and few of the clean one. I guess it's an other one that we're gona have to open up the right way... you know the saying right??? There is no problem that cannot be solved by the liberal use of HE.... LOL. I love my job. Unfortunatly I'm not going to be there when it happen... awwww!!!!

Anyway... as I was saying, Thank you all for your help in the matter and do not hesitate to share more thoughts or comments.

Cheers.

Luc.
Projo 1.jpgProjo 2.jpgProjo 11.jpgWork Projo 2.jpgWork Projo 4.jpgWork Projo 5.jpgWork Projo 3.jpgWork Projo 8.jpg