What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hispano 20MM casing

This came in free with the U.S. MKII grenade that I bought today. I don't even know why i'm showing it, I guess because my additions are getting slim these days and I just gotta show it all. This is a 20MM hispano drill casing and has holes drilled around perimeter of casing. After a whisk with a wire wheel here's what is says on headstamp "20MM - MK5 - RNO - 64 - MOO.O"...Dano (If anyone fell asleep reading this take a caffein pill)

Attachments

• Picture 295.jpg
    Picture 295.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 296.jpg
    Picture 296.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 36
Yeah Rick, I agree, though there may be nothing wrong with this one. i bought it used off ebay and it came with no instructions, and me getting an electronic device with no instructions is about as effective as showering with a rain-coat on? I hate this damn camera 1) it uses AA batteries and eats them for breakfast, and oh yeah, that crappy picture thing!! Dano

macroroni

Hi Rick, I found the tulip, tried that and test tried every setting on this monstrosity of modern marvels. Conclusion = This camera sucks..Dano

One thing I learned about taking detail photos of small things with a digital camera, is that you don't want to get too close to the item. Put your camera on the highest quality of pixels, and shoot from at least 2 feet away. If you can adjust the ASA of the photo, put it on 400 or more for indoor, so that the shutterspeed is fast, eliminating the blur of you holding it. Better yet, get a cheap tripod so the camera doesn't move during the photo capture.

Some cameras have a video plug in, where you can hook the camera up to a TV monitor. When you take the photo, the image will show up on the TV and you can see if it is crisp and clear enough, since the LCD on the camera is too small to see detail. When you get too close to the item, the camera can't focus on it. Also,if you put something with printing on it next to your treasure, so that the camera can focus on the printing, it will help it to focus. Cameras have a hard time focusing on uniform texture surfaces with no details. Adding the lettering, or a coin, or something gives the camera what it needs. You can always photo edit the item out later.

If you shoot the small item at highest quality from a distance, you can photo edit in close without the image degrading very much. On the other hand, if you shoot from a distance with the lowest quality, when you zoom in, you will lose the sharp details.

Lighting is also important. If you go back and look at the photos of the 6 Pdr Davis gun projo I posted, I was actually holding a small flashlight in my hand, next to the lens, to illuminate inside the base of the projo.

Good luck!

Hi Dano ,
In spite of the photography :tinysmile_cry_t4: ,i can ID this as a 20mm MK.100 USN (20 X 110) Steel case as used in the Mk.11 and Mk.12 aircraft cannon ,A-4 ,F-8 Type aircraft.there are thousands of these in NZ as where used for 30 years!.

cheers Bob.

HAZORD is a genius!!

Hazord, thanks as using your method the image greatly improved but still leaves lots to be desired. I put up a pic of the hispano headstamp which is basicly still un-readable, but the stamp is so teeny that I was not surprised, so I decided to try your recommendations on my British 4.5 inch howitzer shell case. With the howitzer case the headstamp is large and pronounced. The results were dramatic (see pic). I'm not going to show you all the different results I got from your recommendations but the camera may be staying. HAZORD, I can't thank you enough. I mapped the pixels, shot from just over 2 feet, then cropped in photosmart. excellent...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 303.jpg
    Picture 303.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 304.jpg
    Picture 304.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 18
Dano,

Thanks for the compliment! One last thing. When shooting flat surfaces, especially headstamps, you need to be aware of your lighting. Think of the Headstamp as a mirror. Play with the angle of your camera in relation to the headstamp, to work the reflection of light out of your lens. You want the camera to be close to perpendicular to the headstamp, so if you are getting light into the camera (making a bright spot or bar on the headstamp), then play with the case headstamp in relation to the lights or move the lights. Its like trying to photograph something in a display case with a flash, you can't shoot perpendicular to the glass, because the flash bounces off the glass back into your lens.

John

You can also rub chalk or Talc into a stamp and wipe the excess off with a cloth. It will make it easier to photograph the impression by adding contrast to the stamp.

Anything will work that sticks in the impression but chalk or talc wash out easily.